You can type here any text you want

synthetic fluid

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BIGAIR

Boost addict
hey guys, going to change fluid and brake pads. got the soft pads for the rear from kirbans, can anyone recomend pads for the front? just street driven and drags, no autocross w/ the car so i need something to hold boost, you know. and also, can we / should we run synthetic fluid or reg. dot3 stuff?
thanks,

lee

should we run synthetic fluid or reg. dot3 stuff?
From what I've read at many places, do NOT use synthetic fluid (eg DOT5) unless the car was specifically designed for it ... the fluid is not always compatible with seals.

Stick with clean fresh DOT3 fluid, and totally flush & bleed it out every 1-3 years.

oops

damn :eek: guess the brakes dont need the filter :biggrin:

mind is elsewhere

lee

Steve Wood at the other forum, posted a link to a layman's brake fluid summary, written by a brake system engineer.Tech Tip: Brake fluid debate

Reiterating, I would just stick with a DOT3, or perhaps better yet, Castrol LMA: an improved DOT3/DOT4 compatible fluid.

Regardless, as a periodic maintenance item I would do a complete flush and bleed from the master cyl, all the way through and including all 4 wheel cyls.

PLEASE go to your local parts store and pick-up a bottle of SYNTHETIC brake fluid and READ THE LABEL !! Synthetic fluid IS DOT 3/4. It is NOT DOT 5 SILICONE fluid. I Highly recommend using Synthetic fluid, just as I recommend using Mobil 1.:cool:

true, one should distinguish between synthetic and silicone brake fluids. Valvoline and others make synthetic DOT3/DOT4, eg see DOT 3 & 4 Brake Fluid

While it appears the synthetic has an especially high "dry" boiling boint (500ºF), the presence of just 1-3% water (not unusual) in any brake fluid can reduce boiling boint significantly (50-100ºF).

IMHO, I dont see much benefit to synthetic unless one were road racing or punishing the brakes in a similar manner (lots of heavy trailer towing??).

Water moisture is trouble in any brake system, I still think periodic full purges and bleeds are a good idea.

thanks for the replies all.

i do plan on purging the whole system, any estimates on how much fluid i should have on hand? also, can anyone recomend some front brake pads, not autocrossing or such, just holding boost at the drags?

lee

Back