T-44 on stock Granny w/ chip

JonB12869

Hi, I was just wondering if that would be a good bolt on choice. Aside from the turbo I want to put a chip from TurboTweak but thats all I want to change. My car is completely stock(87) and I dont want to have more than bolt ons, even tough im planning on keepin till i grow old. It only has 68k, the previous owner was in the navy. If you guys could please pass the knowledge cause Im am pretty new to all this Gn stuff.

P.S- where could I get a the t44 cause i cant find it on the net.

A TE 44 is a good turbo and very streatable. But one slight change to the plans would be to upgrade the injectors at this time along with the TT chip. Stock injectors are not enough even for a TE44. Of course this is taking into account that the rest of the car is tip top with a fresh 340 fuel pump and the car has had an adequate "spring cleaning"

Do a search on any of these subjects and you can come up with lots of new info.

A TA-49 or the TE-44 is a good choice for an all stock TR. One thing to consider if you go with the TE-44 you will need to modify the wastegate actuator. The TA-49 is stock appearing.

To benefit the use of the turbo with a new chip it would be best to invest in a adjustable fuel pressure regulator along with a rail mounted fuel pressure gauge. Some chips require a minimum setting for the fuel pressure and if you have the stock FPR you won't be able to set it.

Dannyo

I like what Louie said about the TE-44 w/TT chip and upgraded injectors. By the way, what injectors should I upgrade to?

If there is anything else I should do along with those upgrades let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Originally posted by JonB12869
I like what Louie said about the TE-44 w/TT chip and upgraded injectors. By the way, what injectors should I upgrade to?

If there is anything else I should do along with those upgrades let me know.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Well it depends on if you really don't want to go further with the car, as 36# injectors will work well with the 44, but i would recommend 50# injectors because you will always want to do a little more, ....then a little more..etc, you get the point lol. Also make sure you have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, walbro 340 fuel pump and do the spring cleaning, like new plugs gapped at a tight .035, new fuel filter (the fuel filter is one of the most important in my opinion), new wires, etc. I don't know what has been done to your car if anything internally but i would also recommend a new timing chain and comp 980 valve springs. This is a lot but should be what you need to have a very quick, but reliable car. good luck

I had a TE44 and 50's combo and loved it...drove around like it was stock and had plenty of power...spoolup was nearly as fast as a stock turbo too

Don't forget a shift improvement kit, and some type-F tranny fluid, maybe a tranny cooler, 160degree thermostat, Real Boost guage, scanmaster.