T+/extender too much for stock combo?

Toady

I've been reading the Translator Plus/extender threads with great interest, and some of them say not to go with it if you don't have big injectors. But with the supply of stock MAFs drying up, I'm looking to the future and what to do if (when?) mine dies. I also like the valet, anti-theft, and spark features.

I haven't added a whole bunch to my car, and don't ever intend to. Right now it's just got:
* MAF pipe/K&N
*Walbro 340
*ATR 2.5" DP (stock-type)/TurboMike ported elbow
*Hooker catback/test pipe
*160 stat
*TB coolant bypass
*Pass side breather
*Ultrachip v3.02

So the question: Is a T+/extender setup too much for a mostly stock combo? Thanks.

Could always just use the Translator in non-extended mode & use regular chips, as with a stock car, you won't go much beyond the limitations of the stock MAF. No need to buy the Extender chip if you did this, just a new MAF (can find 'em used on LT1/LS1 sites) and the Translator.

Brian Green
89 TTA

I just started using the extender chip last weekend, and my experience with it is great! I am mostly stock except the 38# inj, pump, filter, THDP and exhaust. I have been able to run 16 to 17 lb boost on 93 octane with no knock in any gear, standing in it up to over 100 mph. I have not turned the boost up any higher, to see if it knocks on the scanmaster. The fast update in the chip for the scanmaster is useful too.

I could never seem to run this boost with other chips without any knock retard, and I think the tuning was ok too. I am using about 42 lb fp line off. Idles good, spools good (I have the BstC), and blms look good. Yesterday I did notice the blms have dropped low, below 100 at times, removing fuel, running rich. I still need to figure that one out if anyone has suggestions.

Like you said, anti-theft feature is nice to have, and when I go with the trans plus, I can adjust the timing when I run race fuel. Don't buy a reman MAF, too many problems, and this setup will improve your stock car greatly.

Depends how much $$ you feel like spending. It is not too much for a stock combo. I would say though that you can stick with the Impala SS 3" MAF instead of the LS1 3.5". You won't outflow the Impala 3".

It is a very nice setup, especially if you like "playing" with things. The Extender is probably the best running chip I have ever used and I've tried quite a few.