T.V. Cable Set up

Hello,
Just took my car out first time with the 200-R4 conversion, it's a 56 Belair.

I pushed the side tab on the T.V. cable in and pulled the sheething back towards the firewall to move the carb linkage to WOT. No audible clicks from cable.

Took it out for a test drive and shifted way too soon, got to fourth too fast.
Readjusted cable opposite direction and got some better.

Is there an easier way to adjust this when not getting clicks??
Also is is normal for these trans to have a whirl or whine sound at low speed?
Trans fluid level is up and wired lock up through brake switch with no vac. source in combination with TCI kit.

Drives better in Drive than O.D.

Any help??

I'm using a holley carb with the holley geometry linkage with proper cable bracket.

First of all dont drive it untill you get the tv cable working correctly,your going to burn the trans up.It sounds to me like the cable is to long.You should be able to push the button on the cable and then pull the cable towards the firewall.then after its back as far as it goes relase the button.Now mash the throttle to the floor.If it doesnt click then its not adjusted properly.You will have to try to shorten the cable or get a different one.Now if you have an aftermarket cable they dont always have a button you push down to adjust.They are a different style that you have pry up a tab and manually pull the cable back to adjust it.Just pull it as far as it will go with it at full throttle,then push the tab back down.I would rather see you start out with to much tv pressure(shifting late)than not enough.To much wont burn the trans up.

Thanks Mike,
All the posts I've read about setting the cable is what you described.
I do agree with you that this GM factory cable is too long. I'm going to try to measure the one I've got for comparison and try to source a shorter one.

Where do various length cables come from? By application or by length measurement?

Really appreciate the help Mike.

You may have better luck using an aftermarket cable.They sell some that you cut the end off and make it the length you need.Factory ones come all different lenghts and theres no way to find the right one without trying it.It might be easier to go to a local trans shop and see if they can order it.I know at my work we order them threw transtar(which is a major transmission parts supplier)

Was just surfing and came across a TCI 376800 adjustable cable kit. Pretty reasonable at Summit $33.95

What do ya think?

That cable is exactly what you are looking for.The Jegs one.You want that style with the plastic clip on the carb side.Some of them come with a big slide thing and it might bottom out on your setup before you hit full throttle.If you need some more info click on this link to transtar and scroll down the page to detent cables and click on it.It shows all the different universal cables.

Transtar Industries, Inc. - Catalogs

Results

I sourced out an adjustable T.V. cable from a local trans shop. It worked out to be around 2 1/2" shorter in length than the one I had before.
It clips comfortably in the TCI bracket thats bolted to the rear of the carb with the cable sheathing pulled all the way towards the firewall.

Still no audible clicks.:mad:

I called the trans shop and they told me, even without the audible clicks, have someone hold at WOT, pull cable out max. and slide the lock on the cable right to the clip.

Took it out for a test drive and it feels good!:D
Feel all the up and down shifts.
I measured the travel at the Holley geometry linkage and I get exactly 1" travel, everywhere I've read it must be between 1 7/64"- 1 1/8"

Is this close enough? I think I need all of your professional opinions.
Also do I drive around in Overdrive all the time or in Drive, only O/D on hi-way speeds?

Thanks
Mario.