You can type here any text you want

TA block & gn1 oil issue

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Tom, what is your main concern? Oil getting sucked into the pcv? Are you running a pcv? Oil out the breathers?
Do you have a link to a picture of your engine?

With the GN1 heads and having the drain back at a higher level than the cover gasket surface, does that mean when you guys pull the covers you get a spill of oil over the edge of the gasket surface on the heads?

Out of the suggestions already given, what has been done? Fixing the drain backs and/or installing lifters that control the oil better, or restrictive pushrods, and mounting remote breather tanks all sound like real good ideas.

IMHO your heads are not the problem.

When does the oil come out of the breathers, normal drving or under high boost?

Ditch the stock PCV system and run the breathers to a catch can. Make some type of baffle under the breathers. Usually blowby is a ring seal issue. Ring seal is PIA in an aluminum block.

You could run a vacuum pump but you have to find out why you're pushing oil out the breathers. The vacuum pump has to over come the VOLUME of air being pumping into the motor by the turbo and rotation on the crank/pistons. Basically you need a big belt driven vacuum pump.

Running those hoses to the rear of the car is a big safety issue. If something happens to the motor and oil gets under those tires, hang on.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This is the state I bought the car in and it seems to only blow out the breathers under boost. I'm going to pull a valve cover and check the pushrod orfice size. What size would be too small? I will change them if I can get away with it and I'm thinking of going with the LT1 smog pump and a catch can.

An electric pump would have to be awfully good. I use a standard 4 vane, belt driven moroso pump, and it can't keep up with the amount of blowby my engine puts out. There may a reason for that, but that's another story.

I would also change the location of those breather hoses. Next to the tire is bad news. Get a catch tank(s).

I use the TA valve covers that place the 3" diameter/ 1" hole K&N breathers that I use "vertically" in the covers and not on an angle like the stockers and most others. The breathers do not drip oil at all on this street driver.
These covers do not have a straight sealing edge along the bottom rail of the covers due to the design, so you need to be extra careful that what ever valve cover gasket that you use seals along the bottom.

I have only had an oil pan leak (first ever) where the front cover and block meet; other than that the engine is "BONE DRY" and uses no oil. I used a TA front cover with a stock oil pump and the 900 rpm "hot" idle oil pressure is 25 psi (sometimes a little higher, i.e. 28) and I am using 15/50 wt. Amsoil for Aluminum blocks, etc. The engine only uses the two breathers with the PVC removed and I have driven this car for hours at a time.

PS: I used the Joe "Gibbs"? break in oil for about the first 200 miles than I went straight to the Amsoil.

A breather and catch can wont do you any good when all of the motor is in the top of the block. You will lose pressure and starve the motor at about the 1000 foot mark.

Back