You can type here any text you want

TA Booster Plate a Melling P201

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
So I ordered the TA Booster plate TA1510. I received a Melling P201?
The melling P201 is not a booster plate it is merely a new thrust surface. What gives? Am I missing something?
I was expecting to receive something like the KB booster plate.
The instructions that were included detail how to set up the oil pump gears but make no mention of boosting anything......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a Jim Ruggels/Kenne-Bell booster plate and doesn't do what the booster plate does. Post a request for a K-B Booster Plate in the parts wanted section.

Agreed. I think it's BS that it is advertised as such.

Just curious, why are you trying to raise oil pressure?
I like oil pressure.
I am building a new front cover. Ported it and now setting up the gears. I was planning to run the melling P201 but figured I would run a booster plate and kill two birds with one stone.

Just drill my 'booster hole' in the front cover. It's job is to replace the oil path by using an actual booster plate (without adding a second place for a leak and potential mismatched oil ports)

Just drill my 'booster hole' in the front cover. It's job is to replace the oil path by using an actual booster plate (without adding a second place for a leak and potential mismatched oil ports)
I plan to now. Yeah it took some work to get the plate cover and filter housing to match up. The plate is rough cut to say the least.

I plan to now. Yeah it took some work to get the plate cover and filter housing to match up. The plate is rough cut to say the least.

In case you misunderstood Earl,he's advising you to not use a plate and just drill a hole in the housing. This does not do what a Kenne-Bell booster plate does. The only way to accomplish what a booster plate does is to use a booster plate.

In case you misunderstood Earl,he's advising you to not use a plate and just drill a hole in the housing. This does not do what a Kenne-Bell booster plate does. The only way to accomplish what a booster plate does is to use a booster plate.
Unless I'm mistaken the booster hole does the same thing as the booster plate. Maybe Earl will chime in.

Unless I'm mistaken the booster hole does the same thing as the booster plate. Maybe Earl will chime in.

You're saying that not adding the plate does the same thing as adding it. Please explain how not doing something is the same as doing it.

If there are others needing a plate, I can machine more. Every single person that has one of my plates loves it. Bison got the last one, and you can ask him what he thought of it. Bobby from RPE used one in my new engine and said my plate was completely superior to the KB plate in quality, fit and material used. I used 316 stainless steel and the KB was alum.

If there are others needing a plate, I can machine more. Every single person that has one of my plates loves it. Bison got the last one, and you can ask him what he thought of it. Bobby from RPE used one in my new engine and said my plate was completely superior to the KB plate in quality, fit and material used. I used 316 stainless steel and the KB was alum.
These plates are the real deal. Flatter than a pancake and work perfectly.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

You're saying that not adding the plate does the same thing as adding it. Please explain how not doing something is the same as doing it.
There are multiple ways to do many things and achieve the same end result. This is one if those times.
The booster plate and booster hole redirect oil flow. They both redirect the flow to the same end location.

Coach I wish you had one available now but I will take one once you make another run. I can guarantee this won't be the last TR engine I mess with.

There are multiple ways to do many things and achieve the same end result. This is one if those times.
The booster plate and booster hole redirect oil flow. They both redirect the flow to the same end location.

Completely wrong.

No, drilling the hole does the same thing as having a booster plate. An actual booster plate (NOT a Melling thrust plate) allows both sides of the pump gear face to get oil before it goes into bypass mode. Drilling that hole lets oil shoot right into the middle of the pump gears at all time.

The only difference is that you don't have to pay anything to drill a hole. And you don't have to risk any steps or a 2nd gasket to potentially leak.

As the oil,from the oil pan,moves toward the pump,it eventually moves upward through a passage on it's way to the suction side of the pump cavity. If you could swim upward through this passage and it were clear,you would eventually notice that the pump gears were directly in front of you but that the passage doesn't take a turn toward the gears there. It continues upward to a point above the gears,makes a 90 degree turn and another and immediate 90 degree turn and travels down another passage parallel to the one you just swam up and enters the suction side of the pump. The one and only thing that the hole does is eliminate the last 180 degree turn and that seems like a good thing. The hole is drilled through the wall separating the parallel up and down passages at the point coming up the passage where you would notice the gears right in front of you. In stead of the fluid continuing upward and negotiating that final 180 turn,a lot of it is pushed through the hole in the wall by atmospheric pressure in response to the vacuum created on that side of the pump. It's a shortcut that eliminates a turn and that seems good. It's the one and only thing that it does and Earl doesn't even mention it.

The booster plate does one and only one other,different,and distinct thing. It creates a continuous/uninterrupted flat surface,with no holes or cavities,for the bottoms of the gears to ride up against. This is the one and only objective of the plate. It causes the gears to move fluid more efficiently.

As the gears move fluid toward the engine it is allowed to move into another passage that is round and has a piston (pressure regulator valve) at the end of it with a spring behind it. The pressure builds to a point where it moves the piston against the spring pressure and eventually moves the piston enough that some fluid can leak past the piston. This is how the pressure is regulated. This fluid has to be allowed to go somewhere or else the pressure would continue to build. The factory sent this fluid back to the bottom of the gears to re enter the pump and be moved along again. With the plate installed the fluid is no longer allowed to re enter the pump there. The modification that is required to be done to the cover is done to re route this oil back to the upward moving passage where we see the gears in front of us a little bit before and below the hole that Earl drills. The positive effect of the booster plate is not caused by re routing this oil. Rather the oil has to be re routed because of the actual purpose of the plate which is to create efficiency with the uninterrupted flat surface of the plate.

The hole and the plate are two very different and distinctive things. Neither one of these things does what the other does. There's nothing that you can do to the plate that accomplishes what the hole does and their is no hole that you can drill anywhere that accomplishes what the plate does.

Back