TA49 setups

1sickmx6

87 T Type Wo2
I just purchased a 87 t type with a TA49 turbo.

The car has hooker exhaust and a 2.5" downpipe 36pnd inj and stock intercooler and red armstrong chip.

Motor right now is stock.

What type of boost numbers should I run on this setup and what other supporting mods would you guys suggest to do over the winter?

I was thinking along the lines of 3" dp, test pipe, turbo manifolds (headers) and maybe an fmic.

I've played with alot of turbo imports, but have always wanted a turbo buick and finally have one.

PS looking for a solid solid street car to take to the track every once and awhile.

Thanks 1sickmx6!

I just purchased a 87 t type with a TA49 turbo.

The car has hooker exhaust and a 2.5" downpipe 36pnd inj and stock intercooler and red armstrong chip.

Motor right now is stock.

What type of boost numbers should I run on this setup and what other supporting mods would you guys suggest to do over the winter?

I was thinking along the lines of 3" dp, test pipe, turbo manifolds (headers) and maybe an fmic.

I've played with alot of turbo imports, but have always wanted a turbo buick and finally have one.

PS looking for a solid solid street car to take to the track every once and awhile.

Thanks 1sickmx6!
heres my setup in my sig. i would reccommend an alky kit from Alkycontrol and a duttneck or stretched innercooler

i would reccommend an alky kit from Alkycontrol and a duttneck or stretched innercooler

A cleaned up set of stock headers will take you into the tens so don't waste your money there. A 3" downpipe w/cutout will make a difference. Cold air kit or open element air cleaner. As far as boost goes it depends on what chip you have. Pop it out of the computer and see what the numbers say on the backside of the chip. If you have the 93 street chip the boost should be set at 17psi. The race chips run about 20psi boost with good race fuel! IMHO I would call eric at Turbotweak and get one of his chips. Timing, fueling is adjustable with his chips. Make sure your car has a upgraded fuel pump, and adjustable FPR.

If you don't have a scan tool GET ONE! Can't tune without it. With a TA49, 3" downpipe, a good chip, some sticky tires, and a good tune you should be able to run low-12's , high-11's @ 110-114mph. As far as the alky goes, GET IT. I just ordered my kit the other day and can't wait for it to come. No more ruining 02 sensors every time I go to the track and use race fuel.. If you do decide to go with alky make sure the chip is burned for it.

HTH

+1 on the alkycontrol. You have to determine how fast you want to go first then we can determine what order and what parts to get. If you are planning on going slower than 11.50's the dutt neck and 3"dp with an open dump is fine. It could even be done with the 2.5 dp. There isnt much to be gained unless you have the stock exhaust elbow on there going to a 3" till you in the 11.00 range. If you have the elbow there will be some gain going to a 3" without it. Id get some M/T drag radials 275/60-15 and be sure to get an adjustable Turbo Tweak chip. TurboTweak Home

I am learing it doesn't take very much to run fast times in these cars...

I would be more than happy with a 11.9 car next season. I will look into this stuff. So far I am hearing alot of good stuff about the TT chips but will have to look into the scan tool and getting a alky kit.

Thanks 1sickmx6!

You want something on the dash like a scanmaster to constantly monitor you 02 milivolts and knock retard. You can buy a scanmaster for like 250 bucks. Theres alot of guys running the new powerlogger scan tool also on their laptop computers. That way you can see exactly frame by frame what is going on during the run. Ive seen most people that have the powerlogger are also running a scanmaster on the dashboard so you can glance and see whats happening instead of trying to look over at the laptop.:eek:

I doesn't take much to make these cars fast but be careful because if you start running too lean or getting lots of knock, the engine can take itself apart very quickly.:eek: Headgaskets are the fuse on these engines.

Being your fairly new to turbo buicks check this website out. There's alot of good information to read up on. Turbo Regal Web Site

Tune it correctly and have some fun.

the powerlogger is the way to go for sure. If you get a PL get a wide band LC-1 as well. With the wideband you can really see what your car is doing. dont use 02's to tune.

I have a knock gauge in the car I had never seen one before this but there is one in there I belive it has the gn logo on it.

You said the TT chips are tune able or was I reading that wrong? I also already have a adj fpr and a 255lph but I would have to check to make sure that is actually in there. Do you think a bigger pump would be needed?

I used to have a wb02 for my old car but I got rid of it thinking I was getting out of the car game wish I would have kept it now...

This is my first couple of days of learing about the cars but it seems like there is lots of good info on the few sites I have been on.

I still have to get the car and really really go through it and see all that I have there.

Thanks Brandon!

You didn't read that wrong. Turbotweak chips are adjustable. Check out Eric's website. TurboTweak Home

Your knock gauge sounds like one from caspers electronics. I would make sure that it has an upgraded fuel pump. Might want to consider a hotwire kit for the pump also if it doesn't have it already.

That is a casper's knock guage, it is pretty much useless, because it picks up false knock. I would go with Power logger, they are awsome.
Also the turbo tweak chips are programmable, you can change timing and fuel by large amounts high or low, on the new chips through your gas pedal using a scantool. TurboTweak Home

,Dan

i dont think the caspers knock gauge is useless. i have there audioable one in my car and i love it. if i hear it i let out of it just to be safe. that way if im not paying attn. it scares the **** out of me.