TA49 To PT61Woes

Just wanted to make you aware, that's all. I missed the fact that you already had one. I've had this 3400 stall 9/11 for about a year, but I don't drive the car much. I have maybe 10 passes on it. I don't think it has ever locked up at WOT but I never suspected there was a problem with it until now.

I'll have to take it out and have it looked at I guess.

Jim

You may just not have enough line pressure in the tranny to lock the converter up. Also there is a checkball in the input shaft thats typically removed to help with this issue. Can also be a bad input shaft seal.. altho since it does lockup at cruise... its probably ok.

I say check ball removal.. or line pressure issue. Contact Bruce or Chris on this.. theyre the tranny guru's.

Grrrrr....I literally just had the whole damn thing apart to replace the forward drum. I put it back in this past Sunday. I replaced the seals on the input shaft, but the old ones looked okay anyway. Could be the pump, but it's not likely since it's a low-mileage heavy-duty deal from Level10. The trans looked brand new inside, actually (it has about 10k miles on it since the Level10 rebuild back in 2002). It's probably just the TC itself.

I'll give Chris a call - I got the converter from him around this time last year. It's too hot for turbos this time of year anyway - may as well put it back up on jackstands for a couple more weeks....

Thanks,
Jim

Fuel

Hey Mark,

Dennis Here, Have not made it down this year yet as I got th GN tore apart replacing a front main seal.

Just a thought, I was told that the 117 needs to see 26 degrees advance to burn properly. Last year I noticed this when I accedently had my caspers chip on #6 setting (26 advance) it ran like a raped ape by comparision to the lower timming setting. Unfortunatly this was on the street while stopming a Mitsu Lancer Evo in Anchorage, so I have no time slips. But You may want to ask Joe Lubrant about this. I am no expert but just passing on some info.

Slap some heads on that thing man it is Plugged up! Maybe a winter project huh?

I tell you, my Dad has the 49 on his car and it rocks. Not sure if all the heads and 61, inj, blah, blah was worth all the work on my car over what my Dad has with Bolt on's??.

Dennis

AKTURBOTA said:
This was my first experience at the track with the Extender Chip and obviously my timing was set too low. I am going to stick with the base timing of the chip which is 23/19 as a place to begin and run 24+ psi and see what happens.

If memory serves me correctly I think that recommended stall for the PT61 is 3200, is that what people are using?

I hate to step back to the TA49, but it sure worked like a dream. With the 2800 stall 9/11 torque converter, the actual stall turned out to be approximately 3300-3400 and was getting 14PSI launches which translated to 1.6-1.7 60' times...those were the days. This was with the Caspers 7 position chip in the #4 position with 20 degrees of timing.

An

Dennis,

Good to hear from you. Presently, I have the same feeling about making the move from the TA49 to the PT61. The car was a solid low twelve - high eleven second machine and was a blast to drive. But with getting the timing back to 25+ degrees where it needs to be at the drag strip and the 3200 stall torque converting, I should see the results that I am looking for...sinking deep into the 11's on a consistent basis...at least that is what I expect.

Mark