TA's Alt. bracket non A/C

This one? It's a common Buick bracket used on V6 and V8s. It pivots on the bracket and it held in place by a another steel bracket with a slot, across the top. You'll need a new belt (I used Autozone 15480) and you'll need to re-clock the alternator,

Attachments

• 893354alternator.jpg
    893354alternator.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 68
Yours is the look I'm going for. Does the other bracket come with it?

Mine had AC and the bracket is a big two piece. I don't know what "re-clock the alternator" means. I was going to cut the two pieces down to just enough to support the alt. but am afraid I might decide to use the AC again one day. Texas you know.

I really like the way yours looks and covet your distributor. I thank you for your response Rich.

Check Ebay, sometimes the brackets are there cheap. They are the same for Buick V8s and V6's.

No, the other bracket does not come with it. Here's a picture other another bracket that's a little different. You might be able to find a similar bracket at Autozone for a small block Chevy. A Buick 350 bracket should work, but I'm not sure about 455 brackets.

I guess the bracket would dictate exactly what size belt you would need.

Reclocking the alternator means pulling the front and back halves apart and rotating them in relationship to each other. With the non-AC bracket, the wiring connector will be in the wrong spot. Rotating them 180 degrees puts the wiring connector in a better spot.

On the cars with ECM, the distributor isn't special. Turbo and non-turbo used the same. I just put a red cap on it. ;)

Attachments

• 82 non AC alternator.jpg
    82 non AC alternator.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Rich. I'm going to go that way (brackets) and hope to put the engine back in the car Wednesday next. Thanks!