TCC WOT Lockup

pmcgrath

The issue I have is that the converter locks up perfectly under cruise as programmed in the chip but doesn't lock at wot. I have wot lockup programmed to be 85 mph. I can see in the Powerlogger file that the ecm is commanding lockup at 85 but I don’t see an rpm drop after it’s commanded. I was wondering what some possible reasons could be? I tried a manual switch and it would lock at cruise in 4th but not 3rd at wot. Interestingly, I tried locking it in 3rd cruising at 50 mph and it wouldn't lock either ... put it in 4th, flipped the switch and it locked.

One thing I should add is that I installed a 700 solenoid in the car a few years ago but haven't really been checking wot lockup until the last year or so. Perhaps I messed up something on the install?

Thoughts please.

Thanks

What torque converter are you using? Could be the torque converter clutch can't handle the torque.

This is a fresh converter from a company in western Canada (TCS). The car it was in last ran low 130s locked ... I'm not making quite that much power yet :smile: I had a billet 9x11 in before this with same results.

Thanks

Just thought I'd toss this Powerlogger file out there while I'm waiting for a tranny pressure gauge to check out any possible pressure issues. Wanted to see if the experts notice anyting out of the ordinary. The TPS is a little low at wot but looks to be driver issue :) .

I get into it around frame 200. You can see where the ecm signalled the lockup at 85 mph.

Thanks

Attachments

• Highway_run_20090426.zip
    87.5 KB · Views: 50
Well I got some line pressure readings this evening. I checked the numbers at about 1200 rpm with car warmed up.

R - 100(min tv) 275(max tv)
D - 80(min tv) 210(max tv)
OD - 80(min tv) 210(max tv)
1 - 200(min tv) 200(max tv)
2 - 200(min tv) 200(max tv)

How do these look? Are they too low?

Thanks

sorry for jacking the thread

I apologize for jacking the thread but I have a tranny question related to this thread. I have an 86 cutlass that I 'm putting a sc 3.8 from a 2000 gtp I wanted to retain my 200r4 but was unsure about TCC lock up and shift point adjustments.I had the electric carb/distributor on my car so is my tranny lock up controlled by the computer instead of pressure? I also see that a solenoid from a 700 has been used. Is their any chance of making it electronic like the 4l60e?
Thanks in advance

I apologize for jacking the thread but I have a tranny question related to this thread. I have an 86 cutlass that I 'm putting a sc 3.8 from a 2000 gtp I wanted to retain my 200r4 but was unsure about TCC lock up and shift point adjustments.I had the electric carb/distributor on my car so is my tranny lock up controlled by the computer instead of pressure? I also see that a solenoid from a 700 has been used. Is their any chance of making it electronic like the 4l60e?
Thanks in advance

May be possible to control TCC lockup with the computer but thats all. The ECM may throw codes since it needs feedback from the trans. Not sure if it can be reprogrammed or not.
Are the new 3.8's 60* bellhousing pattern or 90*? 2004R trans wont bolt to a 60* pattern.

The new 3.8 (L67) are 90 degree patterns.It's the same one they used in the camaro except with a supercharger. If I can control TCC with the ECM that would be great.However a 200 electronic would be out standing!!!!