You can type here any text you want

te44 owners

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jlat

hello people; To you who own one how did it work out for you? I've read some had to change converters to others it was just a bolt on. I would be going from stock turbo, stock trans. and converter. I'm not a racer and I don't think I would be boosting over 20 if the gage is accurate? I should have the parts on the car to support it
but if I don't boost that hi maybe it's a waste?
IBBY

I love mine. No special converter was needed although I went with a different converter when I was racing. Don't worry about the boost, it's the flow that makes the power. Two turbos both at 20 psi, one a 48mm(stock) and the other a 58mm(TE44) will make vastly different amounts of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gauge is accurate? What gauge?

I have had a few cars with 44s,they tend to be a little lazy without a better stall
If you will not change the torque converter, get a turbo with a .63 Garrett exhaust housing
44 at 20 psi is ok, if there's nothing wrong with your stock turbo, get a meth kit and turn its boost and timing up
Don't buy the bigger turbo just to own one, I've been 11.7 on a stock turbo. There's a few things you could do before the upgraded turbo

Do you have a stock downpipe?
I've seen every aftermarket turbo puck hole in the wrong spot, and the stock turbo elbow puck will not cover the hole 100%
That's the main reason why guys with aftermarket turbos and stock elbows spool up really slow

hello; The pillar pod gauge. I forget the make but I got from Kirban in the past. I don't really look at it when in the boost as it's
more of a guess boost number. I do have a first generation BGC DP but I do have a RJC that needs to be installed. I don't want a meth kit as I just want a strong running TB street car less any other additives besides the turbo.
IBBY

hello; The pillar pod gauge. I forget the make but I got from Kirban in the past. I don't really look at it when in the boost as it's
more of a guess boost number. I do have a first generation BGC DP but I do have a RJC that needs to be installed. I don't want a meth kit as I just want a strong running TB street car less any other additives besides the turbo.
IBBY

Not a bad plan. Can't blame you for not wanting to run meth. I don't and never will. I've got a good combination of bolt ons and have no trouble at all running 21# of boost on straight 93 octane without the aid of the meth crutch! That's more than enough for me on the street as I no longer race.
A 44 will spoil just fine on a stock converter, a Garrett housing and a good down pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a racer and I don't think I would be boosting over 20 if the gage is accurate?
dont waste a dime on a bigger turbo if your only going to run 20psi on a 44 there will be no gain and slower spool over the stock turbo at the same boost level on a stock motor.you will understand the term turbo lag with a 44 and stock converter, the garret helps but you can feel the torque loss from slower spooling.

I don't want a meth kit as I just want a strong running TB street car less any other additives besides the turbo.
you not going to get it,boost is where its at and that requires octane in the form of race gas, e85, methanol.you can tune down the timing for pure pump gas and run some more boost with a front mount cooling the air slightly but these cars on pump gas alky,e85,race gas will run more boost/timing and go a lot faster.

I should have the parts on the car to support it
minimum to me are a shift kit for the trans,in tank pump,fuel pressure regulator,fuel pressure gauge,scanmaster,volt booster,a tt chip,alky kit or injector upgrade,dump tube,plug change,good tires.thats to run more plenty more boost:)

With today's E10 gas, mostly stock, I could only get maybe 16-17 psi before knock and run 13.0 at 104 in the best conditions in my GN. Don't need more turbo if just running pump 93. If you get a TE44, go at least 3000 stall on the converter.

You can do plenty of other mods to make "strong running street TB". No reason the stock turbo shouldn't be good for 12s power level which i think would qualify for a strong running street TB...

hello people; To you who own one how did it work out for you? I've read some had to change converters to others it was just a bolt on. I would be going from stock turbo, stock trans. and converter. I'm not a racer and I don't think I would be boosting over 20 if the gage is accurate? I should have the parts on the car to support it
but if I don't boost that hi maybe it's a waste?
IBBY
I loved my TE44. Used it with a stock long block and converter and car took off like a bat of hell. I was using methanol injection and I had the boost turned up to 25PSI. Heck of a good little turbo. My best 1/4 was 11.88 at 113 with an exhaust leak somewhere. Because I would launch and hit 25psi immediately and by the time I trapped my boost would drop to around 17psi. Without the exhaust leak, I'm sure I could've ran an 11.6x. My car weighed 3800lbs with me in it.

Last edited:
hello people; I am going for one. I heard the stock alum. heat shield will not fit so what are you guys doing who own or have owned a 44? I like the shield as it has to take away heat from the turbo.
IBBY

hello people; I am going for one. I heard the stock alum. heat shield will not fit so what are you guys doing who own or have owned a 44? I like the shield as it has to take away heat from the turbo.
IBBY
The stock heat shield is not aluminum! Find pics on the internet and you clearance the shield to make it fit.
Good luck

The shield will fit the turbo. The downpipe is what determines if the shield will fit.
At 20psi, keep the stock turbo. You will only add lag with a 44.
x2. If you get one anyway get the .63 Garrett to help with spool.

Unless the turbo is pooped out, look elsewhere for more power at 20psi.

Back