Tech: Car stalls but doesn't die at anything above low throttle

robertmee

Hadn't driven in awhile and was time to get an inspection. Car's behavior is that cranks and idles fine. As long as I ease into throttle car builds RPMs, shifts fine, runs fine. As soon as I hit the accelerator more than about 1/2 way, car RPMs drop to around 800 to 1000, O2s go low, CCs barely cycle....All other readings appear normal. TPS, BLMs, etc....Boost gets to just barely positive (1 psi) before it happens. Car doesn't die, but at that speed, engine becomes a generator. As soon as I let off the throttle, RPMs come back and car will drive normally. I do see the check engine light flash, but unfortunately, with PL and Scan 2.2 I don't get the code and I didn't have my laptop with me to run a log. I took off out of town for several weeks, but it is bugging me as to what it is. FYI, replaced coil pack and ignition module a couple of months ago with new Delco units. Everything else in signature. Until I can get back and run a log, anyone have a guess as to the problem?

PS....I have an extender chip and verifiied it is not in Valet mode, but sure acts like it sans the check engine light coming on.....Just curious....Anyone with an extender chip and have used valet mode? Does it illuminate the check engine light? I believe it cuts the injectors but was curious if this would in turn throw a code.

Sounds like valet mode. Don't remember if the ce light comes on when activated. Very possible though.

Do you still have you directions for the anti theft feature?

Reset the chip and put it back in convenient mode.

Yeah, tried a couple of times.... I was short on time....guess I could drop the battery which puts it in theft mode and try again in a few weeks. Would be interesting to know if the xtender valet throws the check engine light.

I had to edit your post. Sorry but we have to watch what we put on the open forum.

The way you mentioned sounds right.

May try pulling the chip and refresh it's connection as well.

No problem....I figured the sequence was published, but I agree with erring on the safe side. Wasn't thinking :redface:

I warned ya ;):p. Do you have anymore wiring issues?. Are the pins in the ECU, chip, and calpack good? Do you have a scope to read the TPS, maybe its flaking out on you? Might want to call RC when you get in the area.

i had almost the same problem just recently.. my cam sensor was bad.. crank the car, unplug it and go down the road.. and if that is not it, check the plugs and plug wires.