You can type here any text you want

Tell me about turbulence..

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
ACTUALLY I did run my dump facing forward 18 years ago. It caused so much turbulant flow under my right front tire that it caused me to hit a telephone pole! I'm SURE it was the dump pointing forward and NOT the 9beers and 25 psi of boost that caused the crash. :biggrin:

It won't make ANY difference as notacarlo stated. Worry more about the TERRIBLE turbulance in each intake port, plenum, exhaust port short side radius, intake pipe/MAF, or politicians opening thier mouths and telling you "they will take care of you"!!!
Lmao!

I've posted several times trying to help many about the realistic fact about backpressure.
Once you have a real turbo system relying on applying pressure on the wastegate aka dome pressure
You can easily see where the rest of the components create a lack of flow and actually put the car into heavy backpressure.
The earlier and bigger the exhaust exits the turbo will yield absolutely the lowest backpressure situation after the turbo period.

I completely agree and am not questioning whether a dump helps or a larger down pipe is better. Purely wondering that if the cap is left on the dump/cutout would you just be better off with a straight tube?

Personal example: all old ATR stuff, 3" external gate downpipe, 3" cutout, 2.5" dual exhaust. I'm sticking with my downpipe and exhaust, but haven't taken the cap off the cutout in years, even the few times I've gone to the track. At lower flow during spool up when back pressure in the exhaust is building does that dead end Y disrupt flow and bounce pressure waves back toward the turbo?

I completely agree and am not questioning whether a dump helps or a larger down pipe is better. Purely wondering that if the cap is left on the dump/cutout would you just be better off with a straight tube?

Personal example: all old ATR stuff, 3" external gate downpipe, 3" cutout, 2.5" dual exhaust. I'm sticking with my downpipe and exhaust, but haven't taken the cap off the cutout in years, even the few times I've gone to the track. At lower flow during spool up when back pressure in the exhaust is building does that dead end Y disrupt flow and bounce pressure waves back toward the turbo?
Think of it as another small area to release pressure for an instant since it has nowhere to go but just a fill area till the volume has to climb up over the axle which it is a big backpressure area.
It's all bigger backpressure areas after the turbo
And I won't even go into how headers and turbos create or lower backpressure lol

Back