Test drove a '12 GS today!!!

troGNman

Got Portholes?
Very nice car and well put together. The doors closed with a resounding THUNNNK.

It was White Diamond Tricoat with the Ebony interior. The seats were very snug and had great support with many adjustments.

A local dealer had one in the parking lot with 17 miles on the clock. I would have been happy to just sit inside it but the salesman saw me admiring it and he snagged the keys and dealer plate and said "take it for a little spin" providing he copy my d\l which was no big deal.

I fumbled with the proximity key and hopped inside and my 11 year old son jumped in the back. I placed the key in the cup holder in the center console and pushed in the start/stop button on the dash..... the car barked to life with a fast idle and settled down once warmed up. I released the push-button e-brake and started on my way, just the two of us, no salesman, no pressure.

The trans shifted easily with nice short throws and easy clutch uptake. The metal-covered pedals are well-placed and light. I was looking for a place to rest my left foot once we were at road speed but no dead pedal to be found...just a flat piece of carpet with no protection. I've driven stick cars for a long time and this once felt "just right".

The car is very quiet. Not much noise going on under the hood and just a little exhaust note through the 3" exhaust, slight turbo lag was noticeable and the car really wanted to get going in the upper edges of the rpms......70 mph came up pretty quick before I knew it in a 2nd-to-3rd gear pull. I would say the car is a solid 14.7 to 15.0 runner once some seat-time was gotten. I toggled between the "Sport" and "GS" suspension settings and the dashboard turned from blue to white.:cool: The sport setting was nice in the short time I spent in it.

The Brembo brakes felt very confident, and traction control can be defeated by pushing the button. I didn't get a chance to spin around through the console-mounted NAV/radio features but I'm sure they would be pleasing as well. The flat-bottom wheel (with thumb rests) felt nice in the hands and made the car feel almost tossable through tight corners...very nimble for its size. It could shed a few pounds which could be a good or bad thing depending how you look at it. Do you want the features and refinement that Buick is known for or do you want a stripped-down bruiser?

Now onto the price. The sticker on the car came to $38.6K and had the optional 20" wheels (which look sweet), NAV, sunroof and upgrade paint. I could see myself in this car but am torn right now because I still love my LaCrosse very much and the performance would be a step in the wrong direction for me. Feature-wise, the GS is an awesome car but the "bang for the buck" is not there. Yes, a tune would most likely solve that problem but you're throwing money at an already expensive car......Camaro 2SS territory IMHO.

If you get a chance to take one for a spin at your local dealer, do not hesitate, you will be impressed!

p.s. You lose the fog lights in place of bi-xenon headlamps.

I didn't know they were putting a turbo on the V-6?? I thought it was a HO V-6, NA at about 250 horse??

2012 Buick Regal Turbo

Regal Premium I, II, III = 220 hp/ 260 tq Ecotec 4 cylinder w/ 6 speed man. or auto.

Regal GS = 270 hp / 295 tq Ecotec 4 cylinder w/ 6 speed man. only (auto avail later).

Ddzz, the Regal GS is the turbo model. It's still a neutered version of what they have over in Europe with the Opel Insignia OPC.

2.0 I4, 270hp/295tq in the GS.
2.8L V6 321hp/321tq in the Opel OPC/Vauxhal VXR

Geez.... I work for a Buick dealership, I should be up on this!!! i think we're getting one soon. Pretty good numbers for the Ecotech..Phil.

Geez.... I work for a Buick dealership, I should be up on this!!! i think we're getting one soon. Pretty good numbers for the Ecotech..Phil.

Phil is always working on everyone elses junk. Never has any time to work on his own Buick'ssss. lol

I drove a '11 Regal. They are really nice. I like the Lacrosse in the Crystral Red Tintcoat the most of any mid size car... the color they do not make anymore. Wish both weren't so damn $$$.:rolleyes:

For $38.6, I could have 3 GN's.

Joe

Just arrived today at the dealership!! Very nice car, sounds good. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. I did hear they're going to be boost limited for a 1,000 miles. Phil.

Just arrived today at the dealership!! Very nice car, sounds good. I'll take it for a spin tomorrow. I did hear they're going to be boost limited for a 1,000 miles. Phil.
Interesting tidbit on the boost limit. My friend went through something similar with his 2012 Shelby GT500 (50 key starts or 1000 miles).

Nice, just a little break-in option eh? That's smart on the engineer's part I guess.

Wish they'd limit the HP on some of the performance cars the first 3K miles, maybe it would involve less visits with the telephone poles:p

Sounds like a thrill to drive! I sure I would fall for it as well. Perhaps I can test one soon!:)

ive only seen a silver T around here inside the mall with a sticker of 32k with the 4cyl looked nice had the old regal type grill

For a $38.6K price tag, you might as well get a suby sti. More power, torque, better suspension and the same price range.

For a $38.6K price tag, you might as well get a suby sti. More power, torque, better suspension and the same price range.
I'm sure there are many quicker cars that are in the same price range. I didn't want a Subaru then and I don't want one now. I want a new Buick that looks good, handles and brakes awesome and performs decently.

I'm sure there are many quicker cars that are in the same price range. I didn't want a Subaru then and I don't want one now. I want a new Buick that looks good, handles and brakes awesome and performs decently.

In that case, you have exactly what you described. Personally for $38.6k I'd expect way more out of a car.

my trailblazer runs 13.50's rear dvd all airbags .... its still not a buick though