testing the ign module

yes....

but it is somewhat indirect.

If you test the coil and one of the coils appears to be bad, you then have to determine if the coil is bad or is the module bad. You swap the module wires around on the coil pack and if a different coil then shows up bad, then you know it is the module that is bad and not the coil. Of course if none of the coils fire, that is almost a sure sign that the module bit the dirt.

Steve.....

Thanks I did not know that.

And shag.....

I never heard of a ignition module that went bad (except for mines MSD fried it). You can use a multimeter and check impeadence between the coils. It should be around 1.1-1.3 ohms.

FWIW, I've replaced a few ICM's in my day. They definitely go bad, though I've never had to replace one on my TR. And the cars I've replaced them in have all had WELL over 100k miles :)

Rich

yes, the coil tester is a really useful piece of equipment.

about 25% of the bad coils may pass the resistance test but the coil tester will probably catch at least 98% plus the modules.

Btw, it is 11-13,000 ohms on the resistance. :)

Originally posted by TurboV6
Steve.....

Thanks I did not know that.

And shag.....

I never heard of a ignition module that went bad (except for mines MSD fried it). You can use a multimeter and check impeadence between the coils. It should be around 1.1-1.3 ohms.
Mine went bad 3 weeks ago. Now you've heard of one that went bad.:D