You can type here any text you want

TH Downpipe Leak

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Who Needs 8

I've got a small leak at the "seam" of my downpipe. I have the U-Clamp, and have tried to reposition it, but that's not helping. It's a small leak on the bottom.

Any solutions?

Alright . . . I've searched previous posts to find an answer, and really haven't found one. I tried tighting the clamp down 70 ft. lbs. . . but the clamp couldn't hold that. And it still was leaking. I found a post that someone has tried a band clamp, which doesn't look like it'll work either because there isn't enough room.

Am I going to have to unbolt it and to to reposition it in hopes that it seals better?

Go to NAPA and get a 3 inch band clamp. Don't remember the part number but it should be hanging on one of there shelf out front. One thing you need to remember when dealing with these HDP's is that they are "will fit parts" and very poorly designed to say the least. Mine was to short so I had to add about 3 inches to dump pipe section so it could be slipped together. I was told by the vendor "we have never had this trouble before". Sure, I guess my 18,000 mile car was just 2 inches longer than any other car. ;) Dunno, maybe it's just me but I figure if you pay $500.00 bucks for a piece of pipe someone could do a little better engineering. Like I said WILL FIT PARTS!!!

Back