TH200C behind Buick350

WE287GN

I have asked around a little..So far the response is negative...I figured I would ask here...
I am not looking to do anything but put a stock tranny behind a stock 72 4bbl Buick 350..Going to be a short term daily driver Regal swap..
I have the 200c sitting around from a v6 parts Regal...I have held onto it because it had the markings of being rebuilt by a local trans shop.
Ultimately I would like it to handle a heavy foot behind the 350 motor.
So, do you think it is up to the task?
TIA

If you build it right it will hold up much better than a turbo 350, but the key here is to build it right. Read the stickys at the top and there's one about stregnthing it. Very informative and you should be able follow it.

Itll have its hands full with the v8's instant tork , and heavier car. What rear? If its higher than 3:31 or so, then thatll be tuff on it. I like 700's, they are stronger comparatively to 200r if both are un modded. And as we in tr community know, the 200r has a huge amount of potential with available mods. i ran a 700 in my 71 gto with 455 back in 1992. I finally learned the thing myself after it failed 3 times as bought from TCI. Local builders can be lame too as they think they can drill a few things and put in a corvette servo and have a hero. While im the one telling them about the latest hardened sun shell, etc. It took alot of valve body work, etc to make frictions live, but the hi tork/heavy foot/heavy car is really tuff on the hard parts. I popped output shaft, band anchor, beat up stator splines . But actually was surprised at surviving planets, drums/shells, inputshaft, sprag etc. So to look at yet smaller compnents of a 200r, i worry, its the same worry as when looking at 700 parts after working with 350/400 parts. I agree about getting the best build and would really consider spending money on some hard parts. That thing would be sweet with od.

Interesting...I've always heard the TH200 was not built to withstand any kind of abuse (was built to compensate the low hp of the engines of the 70's to result in more power to the wheels) but the above link says otherwise. So if that is so, then why are people still running 350's and 400's for drag?

The 200 is as light as a power glide and will hold up to performance much better than most think it will. You do have to know how to build them though. Billet parts are also available. Quite a few of the dirt tracks have outlawed the power glide now and this is one of the solutions to a light weight tranny that can be used.

Between the glide and the 200 which would you say is more sturdier?

I've also heard the glide in stock form is light duty but they can be made to take the abuse at the tracks.

If you build it right it will hold up much better than a turbo 350, but the key here is to build it right. Read the stickys at the top and there's one about stregnthing it. Very informative and you should be able follow it.
So the 200 is suposed to be similar internally as the 2004r? At this point though I am talking a stock unit behind a stock Buick 350 without any mods..

Itll have its hands full with the v8's instant tork , and heavier car. What rear? If its higher than 3:31 or so, then thatll be tuff on it. I like 700's, they are stronger comparatively to 200r if both are un modded. And as we in tr community know, the 200r has a huge amount of potential with available mods. i ran a 700 in my 71 gto with 455 back in 1992. I finally learned the thing myself after it failed 3 times as bought from TCI. Local builders can be lame too as they think they can drill a few things and put in a corvette servo and have a hero. While im the one telling them about the latest hardened sun shell, etc. It took alot of valve body work, etc to make frictions live, but the hi tork/heavy foot/heavy car is really tuff on the hard parts. I popped output shaft, band anchor, beat up stator splines . But actually was surprised at surviving planets, drums/shells, inputshaft, sprag etc. So to look at yet smaller compnents of a 200r, i worry, its the same worry as when looking at 700 parts after working with 350/400 parts. I agree about getting the best build and would really consider spending money on some hard parts. That thing would be sweet with od.

Well I plan on doing the overdrive tranny in the 70 Skylark eventually, but this time its the 3 speed metric behind the Buick 350 in the same weight Regal..This trans came from a similar Regal..Not sure what a factory 84 Regal3.8 rear ratio is..guessing hi 2's???

A little 200C Info on Donnie Wang's site.>> THM 200C
Interesting article..

Years ago, I built a budget 79 Cutlass that had originally been equipped with a tired 305 SBC and Metric 200 trans. I replaced the 305 with a 400 SBC out of a junkyard Chevy Suburban.

Put on twin cats, 3" single exhaust with 2.5" twin exhaust (ala GN), recalibrated Qjet and HEI distributer. Bone stock OEM trans with @ 75k miles. It had tremendous torque with the tall mid 2 series gears, shifted to 2nd @ 55 mph and ran for quite a few years before being sold. It was not babied and the transmission never blinked.

Sure opened my eyes to how "bad" the little 200's were.
FWIW.

Years ago, I built a budget 79 Cutlass that had originally been equipped with a tired 305 SBC and Metric 200 trans. I replaced the 305 with a 400 SBC out of a junkyard Chevy Suburban.

Put on twin cats, 3" single exhaust with 2.5" twin exhaust (ala GN), recalibrated Qjet and HEI distributer. Bone stock OEM trans with @ 75k miles. It had tremendous torque with the tall mid 2 series gears, shifted to 2nd @ 55 mph and ran for quite a few years before being sold. It was not babied and the transmission never blinked.

Sure opened my eyes to how "bad" the little 200's were.
FWIW.

Very interesting, thanks for the input...I wasnt even aware what other engines it was used with.I had only been aware of the 3.8 Buick combos.

Am I wrong in thinking that I read somewhere it uses the same pump?
Converters from 2004r compatable??

Not sure what a factory 84 Regal3.8 rear ratio is..guessing hi 2's???

My 84 Regal with the 3.8 N/A and metric 200 had a 2.41 out back. Probably what yours was.

Very interesting, thanks for the input...I wasnt even aware what other engines it was used with.I had only been aware of the 3.8 Buick combos

It was also used on the 1976-1979 Chevy Novas with the inline 6. Reminds me of the time I had the chance to buy a solid plain jane 4 door 1976 Nova about 10 years ago for $800 from a car lot with this trans, an inline 6 and nothing else. No radio, no a/c. Base model car. I shoulda bought it and dropped in a 434 sbc. I kick myself now. :frown:

Yes, 200C/2004R use same Pump & TC. Some 200C's Servos are larger than a GN also.:eek:

133 cover/111 piston is the same as a GN in apply area.

The 134 cover/112 piston is 2.850".

Servo size Info>> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/137486-200-200-4r-aftermarket-servo-sizes.html

Thanks a bunch for the info..Getting some ideas , have a few converters hanging around, blue streak D5, monte D5 and an old AC non LU

My 84 Regal with the 3.8 N/A and metric 200 had a 2.41 out back. Probably what yours was.

It was also used on the 1976-1979 Chevy Novas with the inline 6. Reminds me of the time I had the chance to buy a solid plain jane 4 door 1976 Nova about 10 years ago for $800 from a car lot with this trans, an inline 6 and nothing else. No radio, no a/c. Base model car. I shoulda bought it and dropped in a 434 sbc. I kick myself now. :frown:

Thanks for the info.. 2.41 wow...