The Death of Nittos, got a 7, stock car

tim87tr

Obsession or Digression?
I have ran both my cars once at a quarter mile last year, and now both cars once at an eighth mile this year. So this is my 4th time drag racing. The track is in Charleston, IL, about 30 miles from my house. Tonight I ran the T with a 97 Thrasher (timing?) with 100 Xylene mix on 20 lb boost. First time using this chip, running at 45 lb fp static, O2's around 770, no knock. I still can not believe my 60's on 235 BFG DR's. My best 60' before was 1.87 on the Nitto's on my GN. They will be replaced with BFG's since they are worn out.

The car is stock except chip, Cold air filter, 340 Walbo fuel pump and hotwire, Hooker exhaust, TB bore, powerplate, Level 10 shift, air bags, 235 BFG DR's. Has stock engine (even valve springs),turbo/IC/inj, downpipe, converter, rear posi. With the BFG's I just did an easy light clean off dry burnout with minor smoke. On the best time, I did a 5 lb launch, the most my stock brakes would hold. Had about 6 lb DS and 12 lb PS airbag with 24 lb in the BFG DR's.

Last run of four tonight was 7.97 @ 84.4 with a 1.71 60'. Had 2 runs of 8.1 @83.9 with 1.81 60'. One run was 1.73 60' with no et or mph, timing system broke/malfunctioned.

On one of those 8.1's I left at 2 or 3 lb boost with a 0.598 reaction to in order to run and beat a modded 2001 LS1 by 0.11. This car is a regular money winning bracket car (won $450 last time I was there). He had a 0.534 reaction and 1.87 60'.

Thanks for listening, I am wired about this :D . Buick Motorsports kicks arse!

Wanted to add stock suspension to this, untouched. Apparently the car transfers weight well, plants with the airbags, and sticks with the BFG's. Any comments on this? I guess I am still just shocked the car would 60', I'm new at this. I did read how to launch from someone here on the board, thanks :) . I boosted to the max the brakes could hold, right foot down at launch, then left foot up to release :D

This track is really not known for prep work. A small little operation outside of town, down a gravel road, across the wooden bridge, through the woods type setup. But I like it :). Also they kept calling my car a Grand National since I had it there 2 weeks ago :rolleyes: . The entry slip says Turbo-T, Turbo-T !! :p

Great kill 2001 LS1;) and modded. Great 60's for a 235 DR. You should run that beast in the 1/4 and post those results.

Originally posted by The Boost Creep
Great kill 2001 LS1;) and modded. Great 60's for a 235 DR. You should run that beast in the 1/4 and post those results.
I ran it in the quarter once last year but it had the stock fuel pump, so I only ran 17 lb boost with some 110 added to the tank. And that was my first time drag racing. It ran 13.5 at 102, best of four runs. I think the eighth was only 8.7 in that run. My 60' at that time was a best of 2.0 on the 245 Nittos. The Nittos had GNX style Enkei rims so I switched them to the GN.

I might take this one to the Midwest challenge in Morocco, Indiana in September. Then I can see what it does in that last eighth with my current setup.

Originally posted by tim87tr
Wanted to add stock suspension to this, untouched. Apparently the car transfers weight well, plants with the airbags, and sticks with the BFG's. Any comments on this? I guess I am still just shocked the car would 60', I'm new at this. I did read how to launch from someone here on the board, thanks :) . I boosted to the max the brakes could hold, right foot down at launch, then left foot up to release :D

I won't take credit for this technique, but it can work really good with drag radials. I've been singing the praises of it for almost 5 years now. Once you get the hang of it, you never go back to "pedalling" the car. That's a very good 60ft for the 235's and your mods. Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by UNGN

I won't take credit for this technique, but it can work really good with drag radials. I've been singing the praises of it for almost 5 years now. Once you get the hang of it, you never go back to "pedalling" the car. That's a very good 60ft for the 235's and your mods. Keep up the good work.
Thanks UNGN, I was hoping one of the regulars would have something to say about that. That's how I learned to start with, listening to others. I had tried the technique a couple weeks ago in the other car with the 245 Nittos without success. Had to pedal it more after launch to get traction and leave with no boost. I am going to do the rear LCA bushings and box the rear arms to help with the wheel hop problem also. Maybe the front body bracing I just added is hurting the weight transfer of that car. But, I'm just glad it rides better, it's a T-top. It does not have air bags either.

I had a great time Friday night "learning" a few more TR tricks. And when my best 60' went from a 1.87 to a 1.71, I looked liked this :eek:. I am not going to be a bracket racer and it was test and tune Friday. My R/T on that 1.71 short was 3 seconds and everyone wondered why I sat at a green light :D . The car in the other lane that I ignored ran 62 mph, and I got the "win" by 0.91 seconds to their .60 R/T and 11.3 et, which was part of the fun....seeing how quickly the cars can catch up to other cars. My friend has a stock 95 Impalla SS that he ran with me last time out in test and tune. I left .75 sec after him and "won" by .67 and his reaction was priceless. He said "what the hell was that" about me going past mid track, said it "scared" him ;) . We had a good laugh on that one :cool: .

Great news man!

Wow, Tim! That is great news about the T! That car really puts some power to the ground for being mildly modded. I love the short time, I wish my car would do that!

Maybe I should let you drive my car since you seem so good at pulling the most out of these beasts.

Keep teaching the public joes over in Illinois how it's done.....with 6 cylinders!!!!! :D

I'll second the Buick Motorsports comment. BM rocks!

I've actually had great results with the Nitto drag radial. I have never tried the BFG but I think I am going to stick with the Nitto's. I have raced at Joliet with the Nitto's and have gotten 1.6 60 fts on a 6-7 pound launch. I did a pretty decent sized burnout with a good amount of smoke, partly just cuz I like to do burnouts, but they have always hooked awesome. Maybe you just needed to burnout a little longer, but if you found something that works go with it. I am just adding what I have had happen with my Nittos.

My best 60-ft to date is with BFG-DR's even though I have tried some runs with 9.00x28 MT slicks.

Still working on setup with slicks, it better improve my 60-ft given the amount of money I spent on them.

Deep Enough

Donald McMullin

Donald, I should be receiving some used 28x9 MT slicks soon to use with some extra stock T rims. I will repost here in a couple weeks after testing them out to see if I can get into the 1.6s. I have only made 4 passes on those 235 BFG DRs.

What did you think about the 28x9 MTs, any ideas why they did not do better than the BFGs? You might know something that would help me next time out with those slicks. If the slicks don't do as well as I want at the track, I can always put the BFGs back on that I drive to the track on. Might want to try the air bags, I see in your sig that you had not used them yet, but 1.65 is a great 60' at our stock turbo power level. So I see why you might be hesitant to change anything. Tim

Donald........to get the best results out of the slicks, ya gotta launch harder...that usually means more boost at launch:)

you are getting excellent 60's out of the BFG's....the only other guy I know that can do that is Dennis in the 442....he has cut some 1.60 on BFG's (as you know that car is a 12.00, without trying....no roll bar)

it could just be you may not be making enough power to really take advantage of the slicks, but try harder launches.....on my car the slicks are worth at least .1 in the 60' over ET Streets, and I have never had any luck at the track with my BFG's (275x60)..last time I tried 'em, everytime I stepped on the gas they went up in smoke (1st gear, 2nd gear, 3rd gear.....)

Donald, I am in the process of installing the better wheel cylinders and soft rear shoes for a 10 lb launch instead of the 5 I did last time out. Just what azgn said, I want to launch harder with the slicks I am getting, so I'm doing the rear brake upgrade. About $110 in parts so its not too bad for the results we might get :) I may want to try to get some 1.6s on those little 235 BFGs with one pass since that must be hard to do. I'm going to remove the front sway bar next time, so that might get me that little bit extra on the 60'. Tim