The Edelbrock Buick V6 Performer Cam Thread to end all

Captain Calais

Enough beating around the bush. I've heard many different answers to this question by looking a past threads and still have not come up with a concrete answer.

DO THE VALVE GUIDES NEED TO BE ALTERED WHEN INSTALLING AN EDELBROCK PERFORMER CAMSHAFT ON A NA BUICK V6?

Two sides to this story: "Yes, you should always have it done if the cam has so and so much lift.

"No, I didn't. I called Edelbrock and they said it will be fine. No mention of this in install instructions."

So which is it? Have people installed this cam with no problems? Definitive answers please :)

when i had my edeljunk cam i didnt cut the guides. buy a mellings or something elso. ask charlie i had a h*ll of a time with that cam. i had no bottom end power with it. if you must use that cam degree it. i think the stock cam was better than the edeljunk cam. i could have got a bad cam but here is someone who first hand had that cam.

I didnt cut the guides on my 84 N/A,and its fine. From what i here is that on 84 and later years you can get buy with the edelbrock cam without cutting the guides.

Thanks about the advice. So a different brand would be better then eh? I'll have to keep an eye out. I just thought the Edelbrock had decent specs.

So what IS the max lift people have used WITHOUT altering the valve guides?

The safest max lift on a Buick V6 is .448, period. I did this in the engine section a few years ago and measured what it just over this. If you decide to go with the E-brock cam make sure you check everything so you don't have an issue with clearance.

why wouldnt anybody just spend the money to have it done?

come on guys.... dont be cheap

its should always be done on a performance build. not only does it confirm enough lift clearance, but it also allows for some room incase you float a valve.

A.j.

why wouldnt anybody just spend the money to have it done?

come on guys.... dont be cheap

its should always be done on a performance build. not only does it confirm enough lift clearance, but it also allows for some room incase you float a valve.

A.j.

Iagree had mine done larger than needed just for that reason. Mike