The Infamous Code 41...

MidGaGN

The "Computer Guy"
Greetings all....

So, over the last few days I have been receiving a code 41. Always when the A/C was on and while cruising. After parking the car and restarting, it would go away. So, roughly, out of 10 trips this happened 3 times with no notice in driveability...

FF to tonight:
My friend and I are driving around after installing a one piece air dam. I take him home and start to back out of his house. Code 41 pops up while backing out so I pull under his garage with the car running, pop the hood and notice that the fuel injectors (60lbs) sound louder than usual.

I cut the car off and instruct him to come check it out. From that point on the car would not start. It would turn over, the fuel pump would prime, I'd get full fuel pressure, but not start.

First we checked all the fuses, ecm, ccci, ign, etc.
Second, we placed his cam sensor cap on my car (we know his works), car wont start.
Third, we placed a new caspers led cap on the car. While cranking or with the ign on the cap stayed lit despite where we turned it.
Fourth, grabbed beer, yelled random insults to the car. Told it "were going to trade you in for anything with a ls6 in it..." (Car didn't crank..)
Fifth, pulled out sensor and cap, received hostile phone call from pregnant wife, left car and booked it home for the night...

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions Welcome......

Follow up Question....

Im going to use my caspers cap to set the timing 25 degrees atdc.

How do I need to adjust my cam sensor before putting the cap on it?

I guess having the dot to the passenger side fender and the window at 4'oclock?

The pdf doesn't go into setting up the actual sensor... it just says to turn the whole unit (cap and sensor) until the led lights up while at TDC and the sensor 50 degrees out.

Greetings all....

So, over the last few days I have been receiving a code 41. Always when the A/C was on and while cruising. After parking the car and restarting, it would go away. So, roughly, out of 10 trips this happened 3 times with no notice in driveability...

FF to tonight:
My friend and I are driving around after installing a one piece air dam. I take him home and start to back out of his house. Code 41 pops up while backing out so I pull under his garage with the car running, pop the hood and notice that the fuel injectors (60lbs) sound louder than usual.

I cut the car off and instruct him to come check it out. From that point on the car would not start. It would turn over, the fuel pump would prime, I'd get full fuel pressure, but not start.

First we checked all the fuses, ecm, ccci, ign, etc.
Second, we placed his cam sensor cap on my car (we know his works), car wont start.
Third, we placed a new caspers led cap on the car. While cranking or with the ign on the cap stayed lit despite where we turned it.
Fourth, grabbed beer, yelled random insults to the car. Told it "were going to trade you in for anything with a ls6 in it..." (Car didn't crank..)
Fifth, pulled out sensor and cap, received hostile phone call from pregnant wife, left car and booked it home for the night...

Thoughts, Comments, Suggestions Welcome......

WIth the cam sensor cap off, did you try cranking to car to see if the sensor internals are spinning? With the cap off, did you grab the reluctor ring and try turning it to see if it's loose?

WIth the cam sensor cap off, did you try cranking to car to see if the sensor internals are spinning? With the cap off, did you grab the reluctor ring and try turning it to see if it's loose?

No we didn't notice either one of those situations. I'm going over to his house now so I'll be reporting "from the field" hehe.

We just set the car to TDC then put the caspers cap and sensor in.

The sensor dot was pointed towards the passenger fender and the cap was set per caspers instructions. We turned the key on and the led lit up then if we rotated it would cut off. When we moved it back to the original spot it wouldn't light up until we cut the key off and back on. So we tightened it down where it would light up. Bolted down the sensor and moved the cap to where the screws are at the middle position. Tightened everything down and tried to crank the car... nothing happens.

Were going to try the ign modules next.

Gabe,
got your message this morning......sounds like the ign module under the coil pack too me ........without being there its hard to say.....