You can type here any text you want

Thermostat housing replacement

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GNONYX

Hi All,
OK everyone here is the question; Buick build a great GN muscle car, and we all know the engineering department has used quality parts and also cheap materials for parts. My question is this; the thermostat housing is made of thin steel material, and also the intake water pump nipple is made of steel. Is there a problem in using both parts made of Aluminum or Stainless Steel?
Did the engineering department knew something of chemical reaction if all is made of same material?
I'm in the process of replacing my GN thermostat housing, and I was wondering if I decide to use Aluminum housing will this material seize with the intake which is also made of Aluminum. Hmmmmm

I would think the billet neck would be ok. At least I hope so since I've got one.:rolleyes:

Stamped steel = cheap to make. Billet AL = expensive to make.

You'll be better off using the billet aluminum housing, less chemical oxidization. I bought an el cheapo $7.49 china made housing from Oreilly's for my 4.1. It's a cast steal housing but is much better than the crappy thin GM ones.

Same here.... I just bought the 8 dollar steel one from auto zone the factory one though thin had held up for 160 plus k and it had been removed a few times.
No need for the billet IMO cant really see it anyways.

being we are on this subject, How do you remove the housing? Do you just pull it out with pliers? I can't find any literature on 'how to' change the thermostat. I unbolted the clamp and the thing won't budge!:confused:

Put the hose and hose clamp back on and pull on the whole hose for leverage.

being we are on this subject, How do you remove the housing? Do you just pull it out with pliers? I can't find any literature on 'how to' change the thermostat. I unbolted the clamp and the thing won't budge!:confused:

If stuck good and your getting a new one, drill a hole through it and use a large screwdriver as a lever to pull it out.

Back