You can type here any text you want

These TR's are scary.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

bossman

Only had the 83 TR for 2500K but after spending 3 hrs on the site last nite I'm thinking "what have I done?"
:eek:
I read about detonation, knocking downpipes, cracked headers, vacuum line nightmares, subframe rustout, electrical snafus and of course the dreaded Powermaster system.
Although you have one of the best support groups with a ton of info, why put up with these cars?
Don't get me wrong. I love the look and ride of the car, now, but the problems haven't started yet.

Why?

The feeling of 20+ Psi of boost pressing you back into your seat, and that unmatched wheel spin that most of these TurboBuicks get at the top of first are what its all about!

I love fixing, replacing, or doing things to my car..with these cars every little thing you do to them will give you results...you may get mad at the car, and you may hate it....but it all goes away as soon as you put your foot to the floor!

The trick is...preventing the problems that age will cause!

I have found that Turbo Regal can be very reliable. If your just driving them, you would never notice many of the "problems" listed. It's when you start trying to squeeze every last drop of performance out of them that start dealing with things like rattleing downpipes.

Take my '83 TR for example. The previous owner never knew that the secondaries didn't open. She never knew the header had a hairline crack in it. She never knew the downpiep was resting on the header. She never knew that the factory metering for the secondaries was too rich. She never knew the stock air box was very restrictive. Even with all these "problems" the car ran great.

I could have driven the car as is and enjoyed it (as I was when I first got it). But correcting these problems has knocked almost two seconds off the cars 1/4 times. I haven't even began turning up the boost :eek: These have all been low cost, easy to do fixes. Show me another car that you can do this with.

And them consider this. You should see problem after problem posted here. That's what the board is for. ;)

Originally posted by bossman
I read about detonation, knocking downpipes, cracked headers, vacuum line nightmares, subframe rustout, electrical snafus and of course the dreaded Powermaster system. Although you have one of the best support groups with a ton of info, why put up with these cars?

"No pain.......no gain......" just a part of owning a performance car.

Don't get me wrong. I love the look and ride of the car, now, but the problems haven't started yet.

There is not a car that exists on the planet without its "problems" You address the problem, fix it and go on..........

My '86 GN has 140,000 miles + original miles on the original motor and she still runs strong because I maintain it religiosly. I do all of my own mechanic work on my cars so I know that it is done correctly. So no complaints from this boy even with the turbo Buick's typical problems. :D

Have had a problem with the powermaster yet. Now cracked headers....Just like B4Black said, Most problems you will not know they are there untill you start to mod and race. I've had my fill of this problems with chevy's as well....You race you have to pay the price.....
Just enjoy it....fix the small things and press on, if you are going to race...Get good guages.
Jim

Wanna simple answer to why we put up with this?

http://pat83t.tripod.com

that pretty much answers it right there. Shows, races, projects, and it keeps you from getting in trouble doing other stuff.

Speaking of projects I will be posting pics before long of the latest mod I made. I wanted map lights but didn't want to do the same as everybody else by putting in the rearview mirror with map lights in it so I modified my t-top bar and add 300zx map lights to it.

Basic saying. If you wanna play, you gotta pay! So far what everyone said is absoulity right. These cars stock from the factory were superior cars. In stock form, most people have no problems with these cars whatsoever. Not to mention that our cars are 15-20 years or more old and still on the road? How many 2000 grand am's or GTP's will you see on the road in 20 years? Probably not many. Regardless if you're modding a chevette, mustang, civic, or turbo regal, they all have their share of problems. But for what these cars are. and what they can do with the right stuff, they are amazing! Theres my 2 cents for the day. :)

No matter what you drive, it will at some time give a problem or two.

These cars are great IMO; I’m always tinkering with my. Always looking for the extra tenth in the 1/4-mile.

Every car has a weak point(s), but between the whole group we have it covered. If there is a problem that has you puzzled post it to the group, and the chances are some one else went tough it and has a answer.

Good replies. It IS a great car, they're fast, smooth and great looking. Just as I was getting nervous about the stuff such as Powermaster I discover that it might be Hydroboost? How can I tell the difference?

You have hydroboost

1978/82 Vacuum
1983/mid-85 Hydroboost II
mid-85/87 Powermaster

Hydroboost works off the power steering unit. It's commonly found on diesels and trucks, so there should be good supply of them at the auto parts store (if ever needed).

Good luck trying to find the pressure hoses. I looked everywhere. I ordered a set for the 84 and they didn't fit got stuck with them. If any one needs let me know. I ended up geting my old ones refitted with hoses. They work great :) . Wish I would have known before I looked everywhere!!!

Back