thinking about porting my turbo

denn454

turbo swimmer
I've been kind of looking at either a new turbo, te-44 ta-49 or a te-60 but i'm also thinking aobut porting my stock turbo instead. whats involved and how well can it work? one think i have noticed from looking at pictures is the aftermarket turbos have steeper pitched blades, can the stock blades be bent or changed? also is it to switch to ball bearings to the stock turbo? or would i be better off with a new turbo? i'm not going to be doing it really soon, just intrested and wanted to know.

also one other question. I can only get about 14# right now, i'm at 6,000 ft, does altitude affect boost pressure?

a 44, 49, or 60 at higher boost will be faster and more efficient than a ported stock turbo. you cant fit ball bearings in a stock turbo, machining is different and frankly its a waste of time seeing how fast the car spools with the stock converter. you cant bend the wheels and expect it to work properly plus the 44, 49, and 60 series compressor wheels are way bigger/different than a stock turbos compressor wheel thus adding to their efficiency. a car at higher altitude will be slower than a car at sea level at same boost levels. i once saw a s/c'ed vette in denver that ran 12s but they said at sea level since the air is denser the car could easily run 10s. lower altitude=more air density=more air in the cylinder=more power

thats what i was guessing, but I don't want to spend money, some call me cheap, but i think... ok so i'm cheap. ;)

i know that altitude affects performance a ton, i really do hate this altitude but theres not much i can do to change it. what i was asking was, will altitude affect how much boost can be made? it would make since, more air more boost, but in another sence it doesn't make since. less air is easier to compress, therefor more boose. i don't know...

I believe there was a write-up on GNTTYPE.org for porting a stock turbocharger.

I was right! Here's the link .

If you can afford it, go with a TA-49. You will not be disappointed, especially at the drag strip.

Later,