Thinking of getting a Harley

lyonsd

Anybody know of any Harley-related forums?

I'm considering a Dyna Wide Glide (FXDWG).

There will soon be a bunch of naysayers posting as to all of the reasons that Harleys are junk blah blah blah. The most common bitch is the price that you pay and they are expensive however they retain the value. It isn't uncommon to be able to sell your used bike for what you paid and sometimes even a little more depending on how well you bought it and which model. I say if you want it...can afford it....then go for it.

Everyone I've known who's had a Harley has been a happy owner. Granted, the older Harley's had probs with oil leaks and shaking themselves apart, but people I know with newer Harleys couldn't be happier.

My cousin has two. He's trying to sell me the smaller one. I sure hope I have money when I get back to the states. Would make a NICE cruiser.

Naturally, Harley's are on the heavy side. For me, this was a concern as I'm not the biggest guy in the world. But a sportster still worked for me. However, the ride of the bigger bikes can't be beat.

Last point.... woman love 'em!!! I won't explain why. SOLD!!!:D

I know this isn't what Harley boys want to hear but....

If money is tighter (less than 15k for a bike) honda's VTX is awesome, very comfortable, way more power than any cruiser harley (100 hp and 105 pnd ft)and very reliable. You can pick one up for around 11 easy (brand new)...

I know I love the one I ride, plus when you want to GO, you leave every harley back at the gate, with a "plusher" ride, but they don't sound the same the harley does have a deeper thump... (except the V-ROD, which does have more power, but sounds more like a honda)

The downside is 5 years from now that VTX will be selling for 5k dollars while the same Harley will still sell for close to retail.

Originally posted by BlownZ
The downside is 5 years from now that VTX will be selling for 5k dollars while the same Harley will still sell for close to retail.

Bingo:D

There is a guy down by me that sells them part time, Some are very nice and others need lots of cleaning. If you like I will look for the number.

Jim

Try www.cyclerides.com for used classifieds pricing.

I rode a V-Rod and I will say it was smooth, quiet and sort of quick, but I would not buy a Harley to be smooth and quiet.

Originally posted by BlownZ
well, maybe...maybe not!

Because of soaring sales the last few years, the inevitible is starting to happen: almost everyone has one! Dealers who used to have no bikes to sell after February now have bikes left over in November--supply is rapidly catching up to demand, and it's slowly becoming a buyer's market. I've even heard that HD is going to be dropping their retail prices slightly, which of course will cause used prices to drop drastically. And it's already been evident the last few months...only a year ago (in this area anyway), it was difficult to find ANY 2-year old or newer big twin for sale for under $19,000, with the average being about $21,000. Old big twins were $10k for beat up rat bikes. However, the last 6 months I've seen '01's and even '02's going for $15 & $16k pretty routinely. My neighbor could only get $7k for his nearly pristine, 10k mile '76 Superglide. All Sportster prices are down too.

Harley's will ALWAYS hold their value better than most any other bike, but I'm afraid the days of buying one, riding it for 2 years then selling it for enough cash to buy another new one, are about over...

Originally posted by Buick From Hell
well, maybe...maybe not!

Because of soaring sales the last few years, the inevitible is starting to happen: almost everyone has one! Dealers who used to have no bikes to sell after February now have bikes left over in November--supply is rapidly catching up to demand, and it's slowly becoming a buyer's market. I've even heard that HD is going to be dropping their retail prices slightly, which of course will cause used prices to drop drastically. And it's already been evident the last few months...only a year ago (in this area anyway), it was difficult to find ANY 2-year old or newer big twin for sale for under $19,000, with the average being about $21,000. Old big twins were $10k for beat up rat bikes. However, the last 6 months I've seen '01's and even '02's going for $15 & $16k pretty routinely. My neighbor could only get $7k for his nearly pristine, 10k mile '76 Superglide. All Sportster prices are down too.

Harley's will ALWAYS hold their value better than most any other bike, but I'm afraid the days of buying one, riding it for 2 years then selling it for enough cash to buy another new one, are about over...

A 76 Superglide is only worth 7k dollars...it has probably appreciated actually since new.

The only reason you are seeing this increase in available used bikes over the last two years is that we are coming out of 2-3 of the worst recession years in a looong time. When the economy gets good again the demand for HDs will soar again. It is the same with any high ticket luxury commodity be it a boat, motorcycle, Grand National whatever. Now might actually be the BEST time to buy one as prices might be depressed slightly.

We have seen the decline in demand for GNs over the same time period as you mention for the HDs. We have all seen cars in the For Sale section that would have sold in a few days 3 years ago...now they take months. Same thing....when the money starts flowing again then the demand will rise.

The thread was started I believe about getting a Harley:confused:

So be it, they are great bikes, hold their value, and nothing sounds or rides like them. Hey take it from a guy that has owned crotch rockets. They are simply awesome machines. Not to mention the Hog poker runs, they are the best. You stop at like 4 places for cards and at the end their is food and a party and music. Buying a Harley is a small piece of ownership. The people you meet and the trips you will take is the real fun. If you want to ride alone and save money, fine buy a Harley wanna be bike like a Honda or something. If you want to ride with some cool people, party, eat and enjoy life buy a mans bike!!! A Harley and be done with it. :cool: :cool:

I have an 87 Softail custom, modded pretty heavily, mid 12 second bike, lowered 3" and all the chrome stuff, blinkers deleted, loud, big cam,bored, ported etc etc. The bike turns alot of heads, it is fun to ride but I can only go about an hour or so, I have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (thanks air tools!!) in both hands and it aggravates it terribly.I understand the newer bikes vibrate alot less but a Harley is a Harley, and the vibration is part of the reason you buy one. I know alot of people who have bought Sportsters and quickly outgrow them, my advice would be to jump right into a big bike and you wont be saying "I should have bought a smaller one....."
On the other hand I have a 2002 Honda CBR954RR slightly modded that will run a 10.0 right out of the box, power wheelie in the 1st three gears, handles and stops like you can't imagine and I can ride all day comfortably.It's all in what you want, I dont think anybody buys a new bike with intentions of selling it and making money anymore.

....If you like Harley's, but want something a bit different....you might stop by the Triumph dealership. Triumph is making some pretty cool bikes these days. They don't have the Harley "potato potato" sound, but to me, the 3 cylinders sound mean. Lumpy idle...but rev them up and they just rip.

Plus Triumphs are still "cool" to the Harley crowd.

John

Rice burners are not out of the question. I posted this same thread on the corral and some replies showed some Jap cruisers that looked pretty nice. One was a Kawasaki Vulcan with (I think) a 1800cc engine. Another was a Honda with a 2000+ cc engine. Wow, I didn't know you could get engines that big in motorcycles.

I used to have a '85 Yamaha FJ1100. I liked it, but I think I've outgrown the crotch rockets. I'd like a big, heavy comfortable cruiser. Something that will do a lot of damage to somebody's car in case they hit me. ;)

Of course, a musclebike would be cool, too. I remember when the Honda V65 Magna was the king until Yamaha's V-Max come out. What are the quck musclebikes these days?

Damn, it's hard to believe it's been almost 20 years since I've ridden a motorcycle.

Up until I got my Dad's Harley a few months ago I had never rode a street bike before, just dirt bikes!! Even though they weigh approx. 700lbs. they are very well balanced and fairly easy to ride. I would suggest skipping the sportster and going big if you're worried about weight and size.

PS- I love my H-D Heritage, and wouldn't own any other bike!!:D

K.

If you're talking to me, I wasn't considering a Sportster. If I get a Harley it'll be a FXDWG.

Originally posted by lyonsd
If you're talking to me, I wasn't considering a Sportster. If I get a Harley it'll be a FXDWG.

I kind of meant that as a general statement for those worried about the weight of a "big" bike. Wide-Glides are nice!! One of the guys here at the shop just bought a white one a few weeks ago. He's been on E-bay ever since!! :D

K.

Do they let you test ride the bikes at the motorcycle dealer?

I've been looking at some of the Jap cruisers and some of them look awesome. Like the Honda Valkyrie, Honda VTX 1800, Yamaha Road Star Warrior and Yamaha V Max.. I'd love to go and test ride some to see which I like the most.

So I've narrowed (or should I say "expanded"?) my choices to:

• Harley-Davidson FXDWG
  • Honda Valkyrie
  • Honda VTX 1800
  • Yamaha Road Star Warrior
  • Yamaha V Max

Most dealers give you a hard time if you try and ride the new bikes...in fact some of them just flat out wont let you. Used bikes are a little easier but again it depends on the dealer. Do you have your motorcycle license?