You can type here any text you want

This doesn't make sense could someone explain?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87 national

Today I got a jeep steering shaft of my freind's jeep grand cherokee that he is scraping. The date on the door stickers says 8-95.
this is from the junkyard donor list
Steering Shaft/ Intermediate Shaft
Part # 52079050.
89 Grand Cherokee
1993-94, 1995 -96 Grand Cherokee from production date 1/6/95 up

Original Replacement Parts 4713943 - Lower Steering Shaft Assembly for 87-96 Jeep® Cherokee XJ - Quadratec

well i got mine off and i tried to put the new one on sure enough the firewall side does not fit!:mad::confused:
What gives?

From these shafts I have installed, sounds like the problem is you are using a GRAND Cherokee shaft, not a Cherokee shaft? :confused:

Nick, please don't say that....I got mine off a Jeep Grand Cherokee but haven't put it on yet....it was a bitch to get off because the steering wheel on it was locked and no key:eek:

So, this may be ANOTHER stroke of bad luck for me....at least it won't break if I drop it....:rolleyes: Bon of a Sitch!!!!!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

The end at the firewall side should have an oval hole with 2 flats on the opposite sides.

If one of you could post a pic of that end of the shaft, that may help define it to see if it is at least the proper shape for a Regal?

I'll go out and try to get a shot of it for you.

Thanks, Nick. Be right back.

Bruce '87 Grand National

here is a picture

Got to go junkyard searching tomorrow. The one on the right is original.

Attachments

• IMG00214-20110412-2202.jpg
    IMG00214-20110412-2202.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 361
That is the wrong one. I used to sell these and the one you have is made of aluminum and the opening is different so it will not work. If it was made 8/95 then it is likely a 96 cherokee which is too new. Here is a picture of one I kept and installed.
DSCN1359.jpg

When you go back to get another check an older jeep first and you will be able to see the difference between the firewall connections. Then keep it simple and find one that has the engine out and a steering wheel that turns.

That is the wrong one. I used to sell these and the one you have is made of aluminum and the opening is different so it will not work. If it was made 8/95 then it is likely a 96 cherokee which is too new. Here is a picture of one I kept and installed.
DSCN1359.jpg

When you go back to get another check an older jeep first and you will be able to see the difference between the firewall connections. Then keep it simple and find one that has the engine out and a steering wheel that turns.

Will a 94 grand cherokee work my local junk yard has 3 of them?

The end at the firewall side should have an oval hole with 2 flats on the opposite sides.

If one of you could post a pic of that end of the shaft, that may help define it to see if it is at least the proper shape for a Regal?

Nick....here you go:

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

I took pictures of both ends, and the whole shaft. I originally tried to get the shaft off of an '89 Jeep Cherokee, but its' steering wheel was locked, too, and no key either. The Grand Cherokee was the only one that I could barely get to the two mounting bolts...it was a bitch in itself.

So, will this fit my '87 Grand National, or did I "shaft" myself.:rolleyes:

Bruce '87 Grand National

It will work, when you go you will see the difference. Some have a rubber boot that is often worn out that you peel off and just paint. The main thing is trying to get the shaft to collapse (as it will have to in order to install on a regal). Some are a PITA to take a rubber mallet to or you will have to take a torch to it and some will be loose enough that they collaspe when you take them out.

Just take out the 3 bolts from the jeep steering box so it drops, and the 2 steering shaft bolts and it comes right out. As for the wheelwell plastic hiding the bolts you can just fold it out of the way to hang on the horn. Its a junk yard so just break what you want to get what you need. Like I stated earlier check to see if the steering column is locked or not and try to find a jeep where someone else already cleared a path for you to get to the steering shaft easily.

Looks like the correct one. You usually have to tap them on the steering column side. The gear box side should slip on really easy. Sometimes you have to tap the bolt through the steering column side also.

So, correct me if I'm correct....you guys (87National, gteatr6 and HotAirGN) are saying that the shaft I have (shown in the previous pictures) WILL WORK?

Just double checking with you, as you know your stuff...this shaft will work, right?

Dropping the steering box...damn, that's a good idea, I have no idea why I didn't think of that. And most of the Jeeps had no keys, that was my main problem, so the bolts were impossible to get at.

Right shaft, I got?

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce, the shaft that you have will work. You have a good one as the rubber covering is still intact. When you go to install just make sure that you can collapse the shaft easily because you will want to connect it all the way on to the steering box first, tighten that end and then expand it up enough to connect well to the firewall side. You will notice that the bolt on the firewall side will dig a little into the shaft and some people file it down.

To me that bolt went all the way through and I felt that it wasn't necesary to file as it did not adversly affect the bolt there is no way that it is going to back out. This is how I did it and others may have different steps but at the end of the day it works and looks the same.

Bruce, the shaft that you have will work. You have a good one as the rubber covering is still intact. When you go to install just make sure that you can collapse the shaft easily because you will want to connect it all the way on to the steering box first, tighten that end and then expand it up enough to connect well to the firewall side. You will notice that the bolt on the firewall side will dig a little into the shaft and some people file it down.

To me that bolt went all the way through and I felt that it wasn't necesary to file as it did not adversly affect the bolt there is no way that it is going to back out. This is how I did it and others may have different steps but at the end of the day it works and looks the same.

AHHH, BABY!!!!! That's GREAT news for me!!!!! Thanks a lot for letting me know this. And thanks for the tips, too. That's a big help also. Is this a great board or what!?!?!? Just can't thank you enough. Far out.

Now, do you have any tips on how to NOT drop tail light lenses? Could use a few pointers here.:D

Again, THANKS!!!!

Bruce '87 Grand National

I cheated when I was getting some of the shafts. I would drop the steering column and then turn the whole damn thing to get to the bolts. I wasn't buying the column:rolleyes:

I did this just a couple of weeks ago. A word of advice...the lower half of the shaft slides into the upper half and has a couple of nylon bushings in grooves (in the lower half) that keep the two halves from making metal to metal contact. If you heat them with a torch to unstick them you will melt those bushings. The shaft will still work without them, but it adds a little slop to the finished install. Mine was stuck and I heated it not knowing about the bushings. Live and learn.

jeep steering shafts in the TBs??? why is this??? thanks mike

I installed one awhile ago. It would slide out to meet the steering box. I tried heating it and that didn't work, I fought with the thing for a good 2 hours. I put it in the freezer and the thing went right on, just something to keep in mind.

Back