You can type here any text you want

Those with GNX flares

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Boston GN

Couple questions:

How do they install?

Did having the flares change what backspacing you used on your wheel? Meaning, did you adjust to bring the wheel out more in order to "fill" the flares?

Hope that makes sense.

Basically if I decide on getting flares/Simmons wheel combo, should I stick with what the common knowledge backspacing is for 18" wheels? I don't want the wheels to look to "tucked in" due to the addition of the flares

Boston Boy said:
Couple questions:

How do they install?

Did having the flares change what backspacing you used on your wheel? Meaning, did you adjust to bring the wheel out more in order to "fill" the flares?

Hope that makes sense.

Basically if I decide on getting flares/Simmons wheel combo, should I stick with what the common knowledge backspacing is for 18" wheels? I don't want the wheels to look to "tucked in" due to the addition of the flares

Having the flares does not allow you to run any wider wheels than you would without flares. I have 9.5" wheels in the rear with 4.75" backspacing and with the flares I think it looks good. You are still limited to what fits between the frame and the fender lip. The flares just install over top so you are not increasing any space. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks
So do the flares bolt in to where the fenderwell trim would usually be?

Here's a question that'll really give you a taste of how short I am on cash right now-

How bad does the black gel-coat finish on these aftermarket parts look on the car if you install them without painting? :D I've always wanted the GNX flares, even moreso now that I have bigger wheels.

Well, I can tell from experience with my fiberglass bumpers that it's not something you would want on the car. Looks like flat black primer. At least on my bumpers it did. If you are really strapped for cash, I'd say a krylon paint job would be in order for those.
If it were me, I'd wait until I could get them smoothed and professionally painted
Just my opinion

Haha ok I was just curious. Because when I look at these fender flares on ebay or on a vendor's site, they always look nice and glossy black, but I'm guessing perhaps they photograph a set that has already been painted.

If I do get them, I'm sure I'd spring for a paint job.

I just installed mine unpainted they are a high gloss & actually look pretty good. In really good light you can tell the color is not a perfect match. It's been years & I can't remember if I got them from ATR or kirbans. Some may very well not look so good, I suppose it depends on who made them.

johnplogii said:
I just installed mine unpainted they are a high gloss & actually look pretty good. In really good light you can tell the color is not a perfect match. It's been years & I can't remember if I got them from ATR or kirbans. Some may very well not look so good, I suppose it depends on who made them.
Really? That's cool. If they're anywhere close to looking decent, I'd probably bolt them up unpainted and maybe paint them at some point down the road when I have cash. I guess I could ask the seller on eBay if the glossy finish in the photos is actually how they're gunna look out of the box. I'd like to do one more thing for the car before the seasons change again. Thanks for the input.

install tip

Here's a tip for you, I just installed my flares 2 weeks ago and I think they look great, The only thing to be carefull of is to make sure you are properly flush to the fenders before drilling the holes. Look at the flares from the front and back as well as the side view to make sure they are sitting flush against the body. I used stainless screws to secure them to the sheet metal. I also held them up first then pre marked where I was going to drill. Pre drill the holes in the fiberglass flares so they dont crack, and use a drill to start tightening them , but I'd recommend finish tightening by hand. Take the tires off and take your time. It was also nice to have my buddy give me a hand holding them against the body while I pre marked where I was going to drill, but not necessary. Good luck post a pic when your done. ...I'll do the same later today.

not trying to rob your thread, but how do you guys think the car would look with say just the two back fender flares?? ive been thinking about doing this but i wanted to see if anyone did this or has seen it?? i think it would just look different and give the fenders that staggered look, what do ya think??

jamier said:
Here's a tip for you, I just installed my flares 2 weeks ago and I think they look great, The only thing to be carefull of is to make sure you are properly flush to the fenders before drilling the holes.

I thought they bolted on with no changes to the original car?

they do bolt on with no changes but you still have to drill into the original wheel lip to secure them to the body. the lip of the flare will / should sit flush against the quarterpannel lip and fender lip. the trick is to line up the body line with the flare while checking to make sure there is no gap against the body. the fender wetting will take care of some imperfection but if the flare is way off you'll still get a gap. Like I said I pre drilled my holes in the flare then put it against the body and marked where to drill the car. this way my holes lined up. Just be carefull some parts of the flare are wider and dont completly cover the lip on the quarter pannel you might accidently just end up scratching the original body flare. take your time and be patient. I used hardware store stainless screws with a big flat head. I used these to secure the flares because these screws disbursed the area of the flare more and held on to a bigger area of the fiberglass. I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this worked for me and they came out looking good and nice and tight against the body...

Back