Thrasher chip

bose

I am adding a TA 49 and Blue Top injectors to my 1986 gn.I have already run a low 12 on my previous set up with a Thrasher 100 octane chip.I had one escape frame but no knock retard so I was on the edge.My mods are listed on my signature.It looks like for a Thrasher chip I have two choices for my car,a 92 octane or 97 octane chip.The 108 chips would be too much as I never run race fuel.If I am righ the 97 octane is kind of an experimental chip.Has anyone ever run it with success.I also understand that even though a Thrasher chip is not specifically burned for a TA 49 it will work with a TA 49.Am I right?Also I know a Thrasher is not set up for alcohol injection but the Thrasher 100 run great with it.I had to keep the pump speed at 4 until I hit 60 mph and then turn it up to 7 1/2.If I did not do this I was rich on the bottom end.If any of you have run these chips with a similar combination what kind of times did you run.One other note,since Joe Lubrant quit working at PTE I do not think he burns chips anymore.I emailed him two weeks ago and he never responded.The reason I upgraded the turbo and injectors is not necessarily to go faaster,I would like to run mid 12's or slightly faster with less boost than I was previously running.Bruce

I'll take the line..

Ok,First of all the thrasher chip is in its own world...as far as boost control and the way the car runs.It is a very "safe" chip.Ive run the 108 thrasher on 93 pump with the smc alky and 23 lbs 1st and 2nd and 20 when it crosses the line.Only problem I encountered with the high timing chip is if you blow the tires when launching..you'll spike some heavy retard unless...I push down the red alky buttom as I launch and no probs whatsoever.And I run my alky around the 6-8 range

The TA49 is a little bigger than stock,not a problem...the problem you have is what I and everyone here has faced...your running your injectors at 120-130% so fuel metering is not happening like it should.Stock injectors get maxed out when you hit the 12's.Plus their 17 years old now....

Dont worry about a couple degrees of knock on the bottom..worry about knock when your crossing the line in high third gear.Rich is good on the low end...well its safe.

Finally,the thrasher will pull boost out via the boost selenoid when the car hits third...its that safety mechanism I was talking about.

Mrs Cleo reads the taro cards and says...bigger injectors are in your future :D

BTW the times on my sig were done with the stock injectors,stock turbo.stock IC,injectors at 120%..I just went to MSD 50's and down to 70 percent they went exact ET..ahh..much safer

HTH

Thanks for the reply Razor.I am adding Blue Tops when I change the turbo.The chip will not run my boost as I have the boost commander and I usually run it to bypass the chip.I tried to access Russ Salerno's web site but it will not load.I will have to get Scott or Rob's address and order one from them.Bruce

That may lead you into problems...the thrasher pulls boost out in third and also plays with the injectors when it does so.So not pulling boost out and letting the chip do its thing may cuase a lean condition..or super rich in the bottom and rite on in the top.

You gotta let the thrasher do its thing..its one of those built into the chip deals.Your using a boost controller may explain why your running like you do.

In laymans terms..the fuel maps for the thrasher take in account boost pressure becuase of the scaling it does with the selenoid mounted on the valve cover.If you ever start looking into the way chips are programmed youll see what I mean.By you manually controlling the boost your defeating this and not letting the chip track with the waste gate duty cycle scaling tables built into it.In other words..all the engineering thrasher did went down the toilet.And your drivability will suffer...if using the thrasher chip this way.

The thrasher chip is in its own world ;)

Not that a boost controller is bad...but you already have one built into the ecm.Why not use it to your advantage.

HTH

Originally posted by Razor

Dont worry about a couple degrees of knock on the bottom..worry about knock when your crossing the line in high third gear.Rich is good on the low end...well its safe.

HTH

...why is knock at the top end worse? I'm a tad confused?

Its like this ,detonation when the engine is producing lets say 100 hp is not as detrimental as when its producing 400 hp.

And high third gear is when the most is being asked out of our engines.This is its most critical time.Yes high first gear and second are important..but not as important.And i'm only talking a couple of degrees.Not 15 or 10...

Not that knock is any good to the reciprocrating assembly,transitional knock is common on some of our cars..like down pipes hitting,tranny shifting,etc..And most cars will register knock numbers on the shift..when using a tool like direct scan.

And Ive yet to see a car running any performance numbers and have absolutely zero knock...

Its like this ,detonation when the engine is producing lets say 100 hp is not as detrimental as when its producing 400 hp.

And high third gear is when the most is being asked out of our engines.This is its most critical time.Yes high first gear and second are important..but not as important.And i'm only talking a couple of degrees.Not 15 or 10...

Not that knock is any good to the reciprocrating assembly,transitional knock is common on some of our cars..like down pipes hitting,tranny shifting,etc..And most cars will register knock numbers on the shift..when using a tool like direct scan.

And Ive yet to see a car running any performance numbers and have absolutely zero knock...

I gotcha, Razor. I only ask because I went to the track last night, and the only knock I had was right as I was crossing the line. I tried looking at the tool, (OTC 2000) but I didn't look intime. My ANS audible knock alert just beeped once then quit.

On a side note, you need to tell me how you have your car set up to run those times. See my thread in the Teck Section about 1st Track outing....I can use all the help I can get.
:D

My first lesson ever was seat time..if you dont spend some time at the track and learn to drive and tune the car..it will never happen for you.

Then comes traction,mph,etc..each can be improved on by tweaking.Learn to set fuel pressure,boost,tire pressure,etc...

I would suggest a different scan tool.I like both the scanmaster and the direct scan.If you have a knock detector...a direct scan would be a good investment.And this way you can see stuff that you cant even imagine...like accel rate,oxygen sensor curve,knock,timing,wastegate duty cycle,it goes on and on.

My first lesson ever was seat time..if you dont spend some time at the track and learn to drive and tune the car..it will never happen for you.

Then comes traction,mph,etc..each can be improved on by tweaking.Learn to set fuel pressure,boost,tire pressure,etc...

I would suggest a different scan tool.I like both the scanmaster and the direct scan.If you have a knock detector...a direct scan would be a good investment.And this way you can see stuff that you cant even imagine...like accel rate,oxygen sensor curve,knock,timing,wastegate duty cycle,it goes on and on.

Yeah, I went with a buddy (dfast1) who has DS. VERY cool! I will actually do that in the near future.

I plan to go back as soon as I can. KCIR is 80 miles from me, so I hae to plan ahead. If I lived in KC, I'd be there twice a week :)