thrasher chips, who likes them, who doesn't

TurboBeagle84

i have been think about getting a thrasher 92.the vendor that i get almost all of my parts from told me that they are the biggest piece of junk i could get, but there are an awful lot of people who use them.i would like to hear from people who like the thrasher chips and from people who dont and the reasons why.

chips

I have tried the Thrasher chip on my car and always got knock.I have a Lubrant 94 octane street chip and I like it very much.I had the Thrasher 92 octane chip without stutter.Bruce

Thrasher 92

Well, I'm trying out the Thrasher 92 now and I like it. The idle is smooth, spool is very good, and the anti-theft is a nice feature. For the $$, you can't go wrong. Don't really have any bad things to say about it yet, as I've only ran it a couple of days.
I can't imagine why the vendor would bash these chips-maybe it's because he's not a distributor??I don't know about that one.
The Thrasher is filling in for a Lubrant 92. A chip which I also like a lot as well. The Lubrant was around $70-Thrasher $25.
bose-- How much timing was in your JL chip? I believe the Thrasher 92 is around 18 degrees. My JL was 20. Not much knock with either of them. IMHO, the Thrasher is a little more "relaxed" for around town driving. Very nice street chip.
Hope this helps a little.

Steve

timing

Mine has a variable timing from 18 to 21 degrees depending on rpm.Bruce

I currently have 2 chips for stock injectors for my daily driver Ttype. I LOVE my Lubrant 92 chip, but with crappy 91-92 gas around here, with 20* of timing, I can only get away with 14psi of boost. I installed my thrasher and I can easily run 16psi all day with crap gas due to the low 18* timing. However, with the thrasher, my car seems to "surge" at low rpm/cruising, something which I didnt experience with my Lubrant chip. Even back when my GN had stock injectors, it didnt like the thrasher, but that was more than likely due to state of tune. My ttypes mostly stock, just has a FP, hotwire, K&N, and all the free mods. The thrasher is decent IMO, but I am going to send my Lubrant back to get the timing knocked down to 18*.

Anyone else have trouble with surging?

only right before the car shifts,I also run a 92 thrasher,I'm still playing with it I don't know if it's the gas around here or what but I get alot of knock and the car is pig rich at idle and is slow to build boost.

I've tried numerous chips, Ultimate, ATR, Reds etc. But I always end up going back to the Thrasher 92 or 100. They just seem to work well with my combo. The others either idle funny, slow boost or surging. I dont seem to have these problems when I run my Thrasher.

In my opinion, the Thrasher is everything the stock chip should have been. Smooth driving, smooth idle. I like the low timing, high boost. Makes the car fun to drive. With blue tops, TE-60, Thrasher 92, 17psi, pump gas and drag radials I went 12.50's in my TTA.

i tryed the thrasher 92 in my car and my car hated it. she'd fall falt on her face going threw the gears and she would serge. i have my pitbull chip in there now. its not as agressive on the boost but its real nice for daily driving.

I keep coming back to my Thrasher. I have tried Red's for blue tops but got too much detonation at normal boost levels. When I turned down the boost to quell the KR, the car seemed sluggish. I then tried a Jay Carter 93 street that I bought from the board. Advertised as a blue tops chip, but I doubt it. There is no indication on the chip that it's for 36#, and my BLM values sunk way down to the 90's. So I don't think I can say if the Carter chip is good or not. But the best street performance my car delivers is with the Thrasher. I expect to try the MaxEffort as soon as I find the $$$ laying around to cure a persistent rich condition in my car.

Thrasher for me

When I first put in my 36#ers I had a Pit Bull chip. The sucker always started knocking at 13 psi, even with the FP at 48 psi static. With the Thrasher 92 and FP at 45 I was running 18 psi boost with no knock and still running rich. The thrasher is definitetly the daily-driving chip for me. 'bout to crank 'er up to 23 psi with the Alky!!:eek: :D :D :D LOOK OUT MUSTANGS!!!

I ran the Trasher 92 with the stock MAF and found out it was very sensitive to turbulence and reinstalled the one screen I had removed.

I also found out it was very sensitive to fuel pressure. I changed to the translator+ and Extender chip so I could save the stock MAF for smog tests.

My car didn't like the thrasher 92. I never got the hesitation out of it. had the screen in the maf and set the iac everyway possible. Now i have the 100 thrasher in and the hesitation is gone, car seems to run much better but haven't been to the track yet. i will never buy another thrasher because you can't get anyone to talk to you about the chip unless you are trying to buy one. I tried to get the specs on the 100 thrasher and i never got a responce. Email the guy i purchased the chip from and got no reply. he could at least emailed me and told he didn't know, but he chose just to ignore me. they are cheap and you get what you pay for. I will two thrashers forsale as soon as i get another chip from someone who know what they are selling..................

quote "I will two thrashers forsale as soon as i get another chip from someone who know what they are selling.................."

What a silly reason to sell one of the better chips out there.
Now, Super6, just what "specs" are you referring to? timing? Can't tell you because most people can't decipher it. Injector pulse width? Just what does that mean?? Shift points? Not controlled by the chip. Boost? You can control that. 16 bit or 8 bit? What???

IMWO, Thrasher 92 is now an average chip for it's purpose. The "100" is a much more aggressive animal. And the "108" is incrementally better than the "100".
A little surging maybe, no big deal. That could be the "lean cruise" feature. All-in-all, Thrasher chips probably best bang-for-the-buck going.

Steve, like i said my car didn't like the thrasher 92. hesitation IMHO is a bad thing. I haven't been to the track yet with the 100 chip but i will be sure to have another chip from someone else when i do. then i will see if the 100 thrasher is better:) As far as the specs go i was just looking for how much timing was in the chip. I am no chip expert but them 13.30's are not good at all. i had a hypertech in and the car ran 13.6's. i have done a lot of stuff to the car since then, bellmouthed intercooler,bfg dr's,matched throttle body,smoothed uppipe, smoothed dog house, all braces,set iac, set tps, open dump pipe and i am sure there is more that i have done. Wish i hadn't sold my hypertech:D

I think i am going to call Jim Testa for a custom chip but thanks anyway ES1.................................................................

It is funny how people with the least amount of knowledge of how the computer/chip works will always be the ones complaining the most. On a properly tuned stock or Blue Top injectored car (w/o radical turbo or camshaft), you cannot beat the Thrasher for streetability (if you ignore emissions).

Usually it is people that have jacked with stuff on their motor, then try a new chip as a "fix-it", that run into trouble. It doesn't work so they blame the chip.

I am a Thrasher distributor and can say that every time I have found out about a problem with a Thrasher-equipped car, it was related to something other than the chip (i.e. bad battery, bad MAF, bad p/n switch, bad afpr or bad ECM are the problems I have run into/diagnosed.) If when you put the chip in, the SES does not flash code 51, it is a good chip and probably always will be.

I will gladly always answer questions about Thrashers, so fire away :D. When Tom created these chips, he altered tables, constants and variables which make it very, very hard to decipher (i.e. it is another form of copy protection). As such, I cannot tell anyone what the timing is (whether the question is asked correctly or not) as I myself do not know. Trying to compare a Thrasher to someone else's chip, is comparing apples to oranges.

Sincerely,