thrasher chips, who likes them, who doesn't

100 octane chip for stock injectors

Scott,
I had tried the Thrasher 92 octane chip and was getting knock even with Sunoco 94 and xylene.I had a Lubrant 94 octane chip and would get no knock.But I am starting to think I did not give the Thrasher enough of a chance.By the way there is and never was anything wrong with my car.I had the 94 octane chip as far as I could get it to go in the 12's.I tried a Thrasher 100 octane chip for stock injectors.I ran my best time ever 12.25.It also picked the top speed in the 1/4 way up.When other gn owners stoped by my car while I was in the staging lane they could not believe the smooth idle I had.I still had the Sunoco 94 and xylene but also had alcohol injection this time.I ran 20 pounds of boost in all gears and had one escape count but no retard.To say the least for the price and performance it worked great.The only disappointment I have is that no one knows the timing in this chip.It would help me determine how much boost I would be willing to try and run with this chip.Bruce

I had the Trasher 92 with Theft Deterent and I couldn't get rid of the tip in stumble. As soon as I installed the JC93 chip the stumble went away. As far as I can tell other than the tip in stumble problem, drivabilitywise I can't tell any difference between the JC93 and the Trasher 92.

good and bad

I have used both a Red's 93 and a Thrasher 92. When I was completely stock I liked the Thrasher better. Not much of a difference between it and Red's on my car but the Thrasher seemed to spool up quicker and I reached higher boost with no knock, over Red's.

Now that I fabricated a custom 4" cold air kit and had to put on an adjustable FP reg (yes it is at least 45 lbs) the Thrasher does not like me any more. It stumbles under load.

Don't know why but I can't use it. I assume it was not set up to deal with the massivly increased CFM of my cold air kit.

I think that if I went back to a stock setup I would swap it back in place of Red's but don't quote me.

I tried it because for the $25.00 what the heck, nothing to loose and possibly a lot to gain.

OK, Scott, how come...

Hi Scott,

Here's a question about the Thrashers. How come they don't offer a Thrasher 100 for Blue Tops? I looked at what was available on Russ S's website and only found 92 and 108 available for Blues.
Is the site correct, or do Thrasher 100 Blue chips exist? If not, why?:confused: I already have a 92 that I enjoy, although I often feel that a 100 chip would be better with my methanol. :D
I look forward to hearing your answer. BTW, if the 100 chip DOES exist for Blues, I'm interested in buying one from you. Thanks.

Steve

I like my thrasher chip. I hsven't had much to compare it to except my fake JC chip, which I don't know the specs of and due to the fact that it's not a real Carter, it's not a fair comparison. I just wish there was a Thrasher 100 for blues.

Re: OK, Scott, how come...

Originally posted by GNSteve
Hi Scott,
Here's a question about the Thrashers. How come they don't offer a Thrasher 100 for Blue Tops?
Is the site correct, or do Thrasher 100 Blue chips exist? If not, why?:confused: I already have a 92 that I enjoy, although I often feel that a 100 chip would be better with my methanol.

Easily answered confusion. There are no 100 octane Blue Top chips for the same reason there are no Thrashers for other sizes of injectors. Tom found out people were taking advantage of him and quit all Thrasher R&D.

The original Thrasher chip was designed to get Tom's T-Type into the 12's on pump gas with radial tires. I think the closest he ever got was 13.0x...close enough :D Then after the calibration for the stock injectors was "done" we started adding features -- 2-step rev limiter, anti-theft, lean-cruise, etc. Once a few variations on the chip were available, they were made available to the public through a few distributors.

During the first few months of "production" some of the distributors began asking for every conceivable combination of features and began asking for Blue Top versions of the chip. Before Tom made the 100 chip, he got real upset with what was going on and stopped all work on this chip.

Russ' website is correct (I believe...but I haven't seen it in a long time). Yet there were several chips that were in the "development phase" when Tom through in the towel that I do have copies of. As such, I offer everything Russ does, plus I have a Thrasher for the stock fuel ressure regulator, a street and a strip version of the Red Strip Thrasher; and a 97 octane chip for the Blue Tops. Note that the people at Thrasher have publically stated that these chips are not, and are not meant to be, fully functional Thrasher chips. Thus, they "pulled" any support for these chips (and rightfully so.)

Note, that the Thrasher chip is not designed to work with alcohol injection, 7th injectors, big cams, big turboes or out-of-tune cars. Unfortunately as some cars get older and older (its the mileage, not the years) widening tolerances in certain sensors cause the Thrasher to be "not happy" :(

I caught up with Tom Chou at the GS Nationals in '99 in Columbus. He had no desire to talk about these chips. Quote "I don't even remember the tricks I used in the code for the LC2 Thrasher. We do so much more advanced stuff (he works for GM) now that I've forgotten all that old stuff."

100 octane Thrasher

For not being meant to use with alcohol injection mine works very well with alcohol injection.Bruce

Scott Simpson

My car never had a tip in stumble until i put the thrasher 92 in. It had the stock chip when i bought the car . I am the second owner with 70k now. Have all records and the car is very very mechanically sound. As far as me buying a thrasher chip to fix my car,i don't think so:rolleyes: My car didn't have a problem and i have a scan tool so i do tune it. I agree that i don't know much about how the chip works etc etc but i know my car didn't like it and i tuned to no avail. i will say that the thrasher 100 feels much better but it should. Haven't had a chance to get out and tune it with that 100 chip but hope to soon...............................:)

My Turbo T with 106k mile stock motor, TA-49, Blue tops, stock DP, big neck intercooler, Walbro 340 and Hooker exhaust made 320rwhp & 475 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels on 18psi and pump gas. BTW, it got 24+mpg on the way up to Atlanta to dyno it and that was with 3.73's. I've notice when you get out on the highway that the block interger drops real lean. I guess that's where the good gas miliage comes in.

Re: Re: OK, Scott, how come...

Originally posted by Scott231
Russ' website is correct (I believe...but I haven't seen it in a long time). Yet there were several chips that were in the "development phase" when Tom through in the towel that I do have copies of. As such, I offer everything Russ does, plus I have a Thrasher for the stock fuel ressure regulator, a street and a strip version of the Red Strip Thrasher; and a 97 octane chip for the Blue Tops. Note that the people at Thrasher have publically stated that these chips are not, and are not meant to be, fully functional Thrasher chips. Thus, they "pulled" any support for these chips (and rightfully so.)

Have any info on the rumored "developemental" Thrashers for MSD 50's or the so called "hacked" ones that had the injector constant changed?

My TTA went 11.82@114.88 with a best MPH of 116.50 with a Thrasher 108. Stock Turbo, Intercooler, Injectors, Downpipe, TQ etc. Basically a recipe car. Loved That Chip.

With a PT51 and MSD50s and a Hacked Thrasher for 50s 92 Street Chip the car went 11.95@113 on Pumpas and 19psi.

If I had a Stock car I wouldnt run anything but a Thrasher 92 on the street but there is a trick. Thrasher chips have low timing, around 18 degrees so You need to turn the boost up over a normal convential chip for it to work better, its the ability to be able to do that with these chips that make them so much better. If you only running 16-17psi on a Thrasher 92, Sell it and buy a Lubrant or whoever's chip cause you will go faster at that boost level with it.