Throttle plate not opening fully?

Ross L

Mine only seem to open about 3/4. The plate does not open parallel . Also seems a little "notchy". It's a Modified stock~ 65 mm Jay Jackson. What can be done to adjust it!

anyone?

I thought something was a little off> the car seems to run really strong @ half throttle. Not much difference @ WOT.

I would relaease the transmission cable at the throttle mount and see if it opens all the way, for starters. :)

If Jay did the mod he can probably give you some insight. Drop him a note at ygettv8@aol.com. He is one of the best that I have dealt with in the TR community!

HTH

Joel

I am with SalvageV6 on unhooking the TV cable first. See if it is keeping the throttle for opening all of the way. This is common with a tight TV cable.

OK it was the "top" cable

I assume this is the TV cable. The throttle plate moves smoothly and opens to the stop. How can I allow more *slack* in the Tv cable. Or is there some other solution? Thanks,,,,, Ross L

Here's a good way to set up the TV cable (this worked better for me than the service manual way. I got these directions from one of the fine transmission experts on this board):
(You will need 2 people for this)

1) Press the 'D' shaped lock button on the adjuster and loosen the cable setting (The black housing that the metal cable is in will move forward).
2) Now, have someone floor the gas pedal while you check to see if the throttle plate is open all the way. Usually they are off a little and will wiggle. Do whatever you have to do to get it open solid.
3) Now, with the pedal still floored, press the 'D' shaped lock button and pull the cable casing (the black tube) back towards the firewall as hard as you can (putting maximum tension on the metal cable) and release the 'D' shaped lockbutton. You now have the engine, tranny and gas pedal all in sync at WOT.
4) Mark the cable casing so if for some reason it gets moved you can know where to put it again. (I just counted the little ridges exposed on the cable housing).

The problem with the 'self adjust method' is that it bends things and puts them permanently out of whack. It is also the full TV setting, which is theoretically what the GM method does.

Thanks,,,,

I'll try it tomorrow. How will this affect the firmness of the shifts(or will it?)