You can type here any text you want

Time for a turbo rebuild?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MNcarbturbo

What's Fuel Injection?
Now that I have been able to drive the project a little it has run a lot better. I have noticed it uses a sinificant amount of oil. The bottom end was rebuilt so the chance i have bad oil rings is tiny, and the valve guides were tight when I pulled the heads apart. New intake seals were also added. The only option I can think of is a turbo rebuild. There was like 3 spun rod berrings and a good amount of stuff in the pan when I tore it apart. Is there a good chance I am loosing the oil through the turbo? At idle there is a little smoke but its cold enough out that its hard to tell if its condesation smoke or oil. Smoke looks white BUT after a while it smells a little oily to me. I have the stock 80 turbo so it that worth rebuilding or should I go to an 83/82 turbo? Or I can go crazy and go to the CharlieF1 301 special! :eek:

I don't think it's the turbo. The easiest way to tell is take off the down pipe and see if there's oil in it or lots of carbon build up. If you don't find any there take the turbo off and see if there's any in the intake. To do my upgrade you'll need to make a custom downpipe with the rest of it. Hopefully in the next month I can add some more to the turbo thread for you guys and get a little further on it. I'm just as impatient as the rest of you to get done with it and get some numbers for info.

Any thoughts on why im going through oil? Is it possible the rings havnt seated yet after about 1000 miles?

That's why I sugested that you take off the down pipe and turbo to check for oil. That's the fastest way to check the turbo. This is the fastest way to eliminate it first. Then we can go from there to figure out what's happening.

Got it. Just kinda wondering, is there that much difference between a 79/80 turbo and a 82/83 turbo?

Did you get the wheels rebalanced as well Mike? That makes a difference in how long it'll live.

Back