You can type here any text you want

Timing advance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FromaBuick6

When will it end?
Hey Guys,
I've got a T+ with Extender chip, I was wondering, what do most people do as far as timing? Do they advance the timing above 3500 or retard it? Can anyone offer up some good timing advice on the Extender chip? Thanks - Tman

your instructions for the extender chip will show you what the base timing is set at. from there you can go up , down or any where in between. with your stock turbo and some good fuel you will be able to lean on the timing a little more.....

This is one of those things that have to be "worked" at to find the best state of tune. But basically there are some rules of thumb I like to use.

KNOW WHAT the WOT timing is in your chip before you begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For example, the Extender chip I use is a 98 octane variety. That means the timing is 23/21. That is to say, 23º in 1st and second gears, and 21º in 3rd and 4th. (most chips don't have that capability).
So, armed with that info, I set my BASE TIMING to "E" which means -4º (it subtracts 4º from whatever the chip is commanding) accross the board in all respects. And I leave my WOT timing alone(set to "0").

I could very easilly have left my BASE timing alone, and set the WOT timing to "E" (-4º) to achieve similar results) and have snappier off idle response, I just haven't gotten around to trying it yet because my car has no off idle issues!.

While at the track it's a whole new ball game!!! Here's where things get a little harder. You'll want to know your altitude or the density air to help you here. If at sea level, don't worry.

But what I do at the track is generally leave my BASE timing set as it was on the street or even lower (to aid in spool up), and set my WOT timing to achieve my max desired timing. I hesitate to advise on a particular number because it depends entirely on 3 things, what the car likes, what effective octane rating you're at, and finally how much boost you're running.
My car as an example runs pure 114 octane at the track, and I crank the boost up to 25-26, and am able to run my timing up to 28º

But the thing to remember is, AND THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT: the two timing adjustments in the Translator are additive. That is to say, they algabraically(sp) add. Suppose you set BASE to +4, and WOT to +4, your timing ADJUSTMENT would be +8 at anything over 3400rpm.
Now suppose you set the BASE to +6 and the WOT to -10? result: -4

BASE -6, WOT +6 = 0
BASE -6, WOT -2 = -8
BASE +2, WOT +6 = +8

See what I mean?

Question for Turbo Dave. If I set base timing to 0 and WOT to +2, with a 23/21 chip, does this mean only in 3rd and 4th gear over 3400rpm I will see 23 degrees? I thought WOT timing, via the translator plus, was after a 3400rpm in all gears? Correct me if I'm wrong Dave.. TIA

Mike Banas
87GN

Originally posted by NC87GN
Question for Turbo Dave. If I set base timing to 0 and WOT to +2, with a 23/21 chip, does this mean only in 3rd and 4th gear over 3400rpm I will see 23 degrees? I thought WOT timing, via the translator plus, was after a 3400rpm in all gears? Correct me if I'm wrong Dave.. TIA

Mike Banas
87GN

As far as the Translator is concerned WOT is anything over 3400rpm. It doesn't know what gear you're in. So basically your chip would end up being a 23/21 under 3400 and a 25/23 over 3400 ;)

TurboDave:
So if I am at the track, 1st and 2nd gear are at base timing when you are under 3400. After you pass 3400 in 1st and 2nd gear, it goes to WOT timing. When you are in 3rd and 4th gear, it goes to WOT timing no matter what RPM it is in, right? I am guessing when you are at the track, you tune your base timing to get maximum acceleration for when you leave the line and when the car shifts into second. Just trying to get a grasp at the big picture. I have the regular trans and I bought the timing adjustor. Supposed to be the missing piece of the trans+. If you are familular w/ that, how does that timing adjustor know when it is at base timing and at WOT timing? I know the chip knows but you don't actually change the timing in the chip, you change it at the timing module.

Back