You can type here any text you want

Timing Chain Set Pref?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GSTOY

Since I'm going to be rebuilding my 3.8 after chewing up the thrust bearing, I was wondering what the concensous was on timing chain sets? I plan on going back with a 206/206 flat tappet cam, rollers are just way outside my budget to get this engine rebuilt. Are their sets I should stear clear from?

Thanks
Steve

Whats wrong with the stock set up? They last & are quiet so if this isnt a race car go GM!

timing chain - I bought a Comp Cams double roller on the advice of Bill Anderson, who I would consider a trustworthy source :) He recommended #3129, which is the Hi-Tech Roller Race chain, *not* #3226 which is the High Energy chain. I think it was around $50 when I bought it, might be wrong, but it was a lot less than the Rollmaster, and with Bill's seal of approval...

John

Did you do an align bore before installing it? I still haven't decided on a timing set yet either.

Did you do an align bore before installing it? I still haven't decided on a timing set yet either.

I did an align bore when I installed new caps & do a align hone whenever the motor comes apart to change anything like bearings, chain etc.

I am looking also at upgrading timing chaing from stock. So either double roller you dont need a tensioner? Anything else to replace while Im in there? And Im assuming any timing chain mentioned above is fine since I havent heard any whore stories about a certain brand failing. thanks

timing chain - I bought a Comp Cams double roller on the advice of Bill Anderson, who I would consider a trustworthy source :) He recommended #3129, which is the Hi-Tech Roller Race chain, *not* #3226 which is the High Energy chain. I think it was around $50 when I bought it, might be wrong, but it was a lot less than the Rollmaster, and with Bill's seal of approval...

John

Does anyone have this chain in stock? would like to get it by next weekend so I could install it. Thanks!

Do you remember how much it was bored to align it?

I needed a 2 thous under Rollmaster so it fit tight. There is a method to measure to be precise. Maybe on the Comp or Rpllmaster or maybe Webber site? Maybe even Full Throttle??

Does anyone have this chain in stock? would like to get it by next weekend so I could install it. Thanks!

No idea. I bought mine through Summit or Jegs at the time. You could always call Anderson's shop directly, they do sell a few parts mail order. I bought my cam direct from him.

John

why?

No tensioner on a double roller. I have a .004 under Rollmaster & its tight!

So, no tensioner is needed when using a double roller?? I'm buttoning mine up right now and it has the tensioner on a double roller that someone else installed and ran?

What can happen with running a tensioner with a double roller??

So, no tensioner is needed when using a double roller?? I'm buttoning mine up right now and it has the tensioner on a double roller that someone else installed and ran?

What can happen with running a tensioner with a double roller??

It will get Chewed Up & be One with the oil pan after time. Dont use a Tensioner on a double roller!! This is what I have read on the sites at least 50 times. I'm no guru but but after 50 times of saying Dont Use It I have to believe them!

Full Throttle carries assorted Rollmaster but sometimes are in stock & sometimes not? Call them. Wont hurt? Also, the Rollmaster may be more but are we gonna argue over $25 with an engine build? Not me! I want the best I can get within reason of course!

Got a question about this, well two actually, or maybe a question and an observation. So first the question, what does the V6 chain tensioner look like?

I've heard over and over that the front covers for the V6 and for the SBB's (215, 300, 340, 350) are more or less interchangeable but I've never seen a tensioner used in a small block, so what would it take to put one in? How does it fit?

The observation has to do with roller chains. I imagine the side plates of the roller chain are responsible for chewing up the tensioners. The rollers would just roll on the plastic and shouldn't affect it. So if you used a plastic pad with grooves for the side plates it should hold up OK. Most overhead cam motorcycle engines use this type of tensioner with no problems. None of them that I know of have ever used "silent" chain.

Here's another thought. It's on the wrong side but the fuel pump opening would seem near ideal for an adjustable tensioner. But being on the wrong side it couldn't be a "slipper" type but would need to be an idler. Just a thought.

I spend a fair amount of time promoting the use of Buick engines in British sports cars. They seem particularly well suited to the MGB and I'd like to see a few more with the V6, particularly the later version of that engine. We have a group project installing a big block and I'm upgrading my car from the 215 to a 340 but so far we only have a couple of Buick V6 cars in our photo section. I think they just have *huge* potential.
Harrison Manell's 1960 MGA with a Buick 3.8L V-6 engine
MG Sports Car Photo Gallery: V8/V6 upgraded Midget, MGA, MGB & MGC sports cars
Hank Kingon's 1974 TR6, with a Buick 3.8 V6
Jim Prettyleaf's 1971 Triumph TR-6 with Buick 231 V6
BritishV8 Forum: MGB Roadmaster
BritishV8 Forum: 340 upgrade

Jim

Back