Timing Chain time ...

a V8 has 16 lobes and less 'clunking' than a 12 lobe V6 cam. Oddly enough, the larger engine is nicer to the timing chain than our little V6s.

The only double roller chains with Billet gears that I have found are the Rollmaster and Cloyes and I have used the Cloyes many times in other applications with great success.

So wouldn't a double roller make sense then?

Based on my personal first hand experience double rollers get slack with a quickness. Edlebrocks are the wost of what I've seen. After 13K the bottom gear had teeth as sharp as a knife.

Stock setup .. any day !

Actually took off a few ROLL-DISASTER chains and replaced them with stock sets ... FALSE knock GONE !

I agree with Earl .. why change something that works !

I went with Cloyes #C-3018K and maybe after another 100,000 I will replace with a TA timing set

I thought that the plastic coat on the stock timing chain was to keep the noise down as to keep from setting off the knock sensor.......I was wondering if going to an all metal roller timing chain would be too noisy thus give me false knock signals.

Any truth on this?

Bruce '87 Grand National

I thought that the plastic coat on the stock timing chain was to keep the noise down as to keep from setting off the knock sensor.......I was wondering if going to an all metal roller timing chain would be too noisy thus give me false knock signals.

Any truth on this?

Bruce '87 Grand National

I don't have any weird kr with my double roller. About 50k miles on it now. It's a cloyes from Kirban. I'm sure every car reacts differently though.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Based on my personal first hand experience double rollers get slack with a quickness. Edlebrocks are the wost of what I've seen. After 13K the bottom gear had teeth as sharp as a knife.
Sounds like to much enplay in the crank ( walking back and forth)
Will cause that issue

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Stock setup .. any day !

Actually took off a few ROLL-DISASTER chains and replaced them with stock sets ... FALSE knock GONE !

I agree with Earl .. why change something that works !

What "stock" stuff do you guys use because most of the jobber stuff is not the best quality and the oem is not available from the dealer:confused:

Earl was talking about a "stock" as in stock OEM replacement part from General Motors.

The bottom gear has been discontinued for several years. For the bottom gear, and tentioner, and roller cam button, a parts house unit is fine.

Earl was talking about a "stock" as in stock OEM replacement part from General Motors.

The bottom gear has been discontinued for several years. For the bottom gear, and tentioner, and roller cam button, a parts house unit is fine.
I phoned the GM dealer and they are no longer available up here (Canada):mad: Thanks for the input Earl