You can type here any text you want

Timing cover set screw

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

NOKA72

Hey guys does anyone have a pic of a timing cover with the set screw that everyone is talking about...i have an aftermarket cover and want to compare...im figuring not all covers have this set screw....thanks vinny

Hey guys does anyone have a pic of a timing cover with the set screw that everyone is talking about...i have an aftermarket cover and want to compare...im figuring not all covers have this set screw....thanks vinny

the only thing on the cover that i can think of is the set screw in the oil pump on the ta performance covers

The setscrew is on top of the timing cover near the cam sensor hole. I always remove it and install a bolt because ive had it fall into the motor before.

THIS SCREW CAN BE SEEN FROM THE OUTSIDE....IN OTHER WORDS I DONT RECALL SEEING THIS SCREW...BUT NOW THE COVER IS ON THE ENGINE ALREADY..AND IM TRYING TO REMEMBER..IF MY COVER HAD ONE...OLD AGE IS A PITA...:biggrin:

The Silver Seal 6571HI front cover also has a set screw to the driver's side of the cam sensor. Either loctite the set screw or replace it with a bolt.

Set Screw

I put a new cover on a fresh rebuild and didn't replace that set screw about six years ago. Well after about a 1000 miles, my timing chain found it and took out two valves when the chain broke. Always replace with a regular bolt. I think it is there for universal holddown brackets for distributor cars.

I too suffered a wrecked engine from that stupid set screw in the Silver Seal cover falling into the timing set.:mad: Replace it with a cap screw and be safe.

Ok so then from what i gather from you guys its definately on the outside and i didnt miss it if its for a hold down clamp..like i said i just wanted to make sure i didnt put the cover on and didnt see it if its under the cover ....vinny

pic attached

Is this the bolt you are referring to? I was wondering what that hole was for? I thought the previous owner oiled the distributor gear through it. I was a little concerned about just blocking it off but I heard it night only be an alternate location for the distributor hold down.

Attachments

• DSCF1529.jpg
    DSCF1529.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 134
Back