You can type here any text you want

TIMING GEAR REPLACEMENT

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have a stock 87 Turbo T. I want to replace the gaskets on it,so when I change the front cover I was gonna change the cam gears. I read that stock are a plastic or something gear. Anyhow I had my grand national motor redone last year. It had a replacement cam and metal gears which are in perfect condition. I was wondering if I use them what I have to do. Can I just take the old ones off and bolt those ones on. Are they specific to the cam I had in my Gn which was a regular flat tappet cam.

You can replace your stock timing sprockets (gears) without a problem. Always replace all three pieces (cam sprocket, crank sprocket and timing chain) as a set. I'm not sure I'd reuse an old set, unless they were very low mile and tight (no slack). Timing sets aren't crazy expensive and its a job you only want to do once.

If you are buying a new timing set, here are your choices:

1. The stock timing set uses a silent link type chain (also called a "Morse" chain). They work well and also use a small chain tensioner which rides against the outside of the chain. There is no adjustability of cam timing with a stock timing set.

2. A stock design timing set sold by TA Performance. The sprockets are billet steel and have several keyways cut into the crank sprocket for adjustability of cam timing. This is also a silent chain and you can use the stock chain tensioner.

3. A double roller style chain. This is a stronger chain (not really needed for a stock cam). They usually have at least 3 keyways in the crank sprocket for adjustability. Do not use the stock tensioner with a roller chain. There are several suppliers of good sets (Cloyes, Rollmaster, and Progear come to mind).

While you are doing this work, remember to drop the oil pan and clean it out. The little bits of the old plastic gear end up in the oil pan and get sucked up into the oil pump pickup tube. A new oil pump pickup tube is a good idea. You might also consider blue printing the front cover/oil pump. (I'm good at spending other people's money!!!)

DR

What DAve said X 2

DO NOT mix and match OLD TIMING SETS ...

With a STOCK buick .. there is nothing wrong with going with a NEW stock gear, chain, tensioner set... They work !

I have a stock replactment set w metal.instead of nylon gears.. brand new never used.

Replace the stock cam button and spring with one that has roller bearings too.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Make sure your builder tightens the cam bolts to spec and puts lock tight.:mad: Its been a PIA getting mine rebuilt due to a local builders error. Still waiting for him to do the right thing and repair his mistake.

I believe it's a Edelbrock TRUE ROLLING -TIMING CHAIN SET. It has around 2-300 mile on it tops. so with this i don't use stock tensioner? where do I get a cam button with bearings?

No do not use the stock chain tensioner with a true roller chain.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Get a cam button for a 95 park ave. with a 3800 from any fast food parts house.

What's the best brand for the replacement parts? I need to do this since!

I'd go with one of those crappy plastic coated aluminium GM sets. Just be ready to replace it in 140,000 miles or 20 years from now.

And where would one get a original plastic set?

I'm sure all the parts hoarder on here have a few sets stashed ... put up a WTB post .. I am sure you can find some .. I am down to 2 sets myself ... I figured with those 2 sets im covered for my lifetime

Back