Timing Gear thickness

scgnx

Need some help on this one...I replaced my stock timing gear/chain last fall with a Dynagear set. Ever since then I've been eating serpantine belts like crazy. The crank pulley is not in alignment with the waterpump pulley (sits forward). The crank will not seat fully..Has anyone seen this before???? Is it possible that the gear is too thick ??? I am dreading the thought of having to tear into this thing again.. Any thoughts, would be greatly appreciated!!

- Scott

Beltz??

Where did you put the oil slinger disc? It goes on the crank AFTER the gear and faces the cover w/ the dish face..
Also, if the gear was installed backwards, I think the offset would be noticeable and the radius for the crant fillet would be facing out.. How was the assembly put together?? Did you do it or someone else??..:eek: :eek:

I did the work (hack mechanic) and took my time with it. I think the gears have the dot's stamped on one side of the gear, so I am sure i put them on correctly. The oil slinger was put on after, but not sure if I accidently reversed it....If I did, would that be causing this problem?

Oil slinger location??

I don't have a used gear to reference, but being the slinger is dished and the dish goes toward the balancer, putting it on backards, may not allow the balancer to go on as far as it should. How did you torque the balancer bolt?? ...

If you put the slinger on backwards you'd have bigger problems as the slinger would be grinding on the chain...I've done several chains and don't see how it could be put on backwards...at least with a stock style setup...could be the crank gear is thicker...if you still have the stock gear find a Dynagear like the one you installed and compare before tearing into the front cover...did you put anything on the crank snout after the slinger before installing the front cover?...I suppose it could be a problem with the key in the crank or the keyway in the balancer damaged and not allowing the balancer to seat against the slinger...pieces that go on the crank snout are gear...slinger...install front cover...then balancer with washer and mammoth bolt...crank hub with pulley is bolted to balancer...

The oil slinger was correctly installed..Its definetly the freakin gear. The crank pulley is butting on the gear which is either wrong or out of specification on the thickness. Either way I have to tear it down again &^^%%%. Can someone please tell me whats the correct timing gear/chain set for these beasts?????