Timing Ring Hitting Front Cover

WH1Driver

I just broke in a rebuilt Hot Air motor. During the intial run I had a tinging sound in the front of the motor. I thought it may be the timing ring hitting the crank sensor. While changing the oil I took a look and the front cover is scored right where the lobes of the timing ring pass. Just above where the oil pan bolts on. What would cause this to be so close. I did not move the timing ring on the balancer. Could it simply be a thicker front cover gasket than stock. I guess I'm just going to fill it down a bit or the ring will do it for me over time. Is there anything else I should worry about with this occurance? Thanks fellas

The same exact thing happened to me , I used a after market high volume front cover and gm gasket , i used a chain saw file and filed the front cover , tinging noise is gone , no more problem

You didn't forget the "slinger" ring did you? That would allow the crank snout to snug a little closer.

What would this Slinger ring look like. I don't recall such a thing being taken off or put back on the motor. Is is just a simple washer looking object? Thanks for all your help guys.

Hey Turbo Dave,
I see in your pictures that you have a Hurst Quarterstick in your car. Is that one of the discontinued console models? Or did you fabricate a standard one in your car? I'm going to try to do that latter myself. Any suggestions? Thanks again, Nathan