You can type here any text you want

Timing set?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
As most of you know, I'm still in the long slow process of putting my numbers matching motor together.

A little background is in order. I'm using virtually all the orginal parts including crang, rods, pistons etc. etc.
With the exception of cam, lifters, and springs, these are new parts. 202/202 cam flat tappet, genuine GM lifters, Genuine GM Turbo Regal springs/cups.

Any way, my question is, since this is a stock build, what's the best timing set to bolt on???
Stock style, or double roller? and what brands?

As most of you know, I'm still in the long slow process of putting my numbers matching motor together.

A little background is in order. I'm using virtually all the orginal parts including crang, rods, pistons etc. etc.
With the exception of cam, lifters, and springs, these are new parts. 202/202 cam flat tappet, genuine GM lifters, Genuine GM Turbo Regal springs/cups.

Any way, my question is, since this is a stock build, what's the best timing set to bolt on???

If you're staying with the parts you have, I'd recommend one of TA Performance Steel Billet Gear Set with stock style single row chain & tensioner. The timimg gear is 9 way adjustable for retard / advance. It's a beautiful looking piece. I just installed on on my engine (along with their Front Cover & new oil pump gears).

See thread in Advertisers section on this:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-steel-billet-9-key-timing-chain-sets.338103/

TA V1522B.jpg

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a great piece, although very pricey! I'm wondering if I'm needing that much adjustment on a stock build?? Even if I wanted to degree the cam, I can't figure out how a degree wheel would attach to our odd ball cam snout.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a great piece, although very pricey! I'm wondering if I'm needing that much adjustment on a stock build?? Even if I wanted to degree the cam, I can't figure out how a degree wheel would attach to our odd ball cam snout.

the degree wheel bolts to the crank not the cam

Although I don't have cam, lifters, and springs, but still have a stock engine and I already asked the same question. It's mostly street driven and not a race car so why would I need a double roller set. I search most auto store of the brand type and cost, and I found one on EBay (Cloyes Gear C31018K Timing Set) for $17.13 S&H free
$(KGrHqMOKogE1z1gzewJBNuykT3!Ow~~0_35.JPG

Since the new cam isn't a stockGM factory cam I hope you have the cam card for it. The best way to check to see if the cam is ground right is with a degree wheel. You have to find the centerline and actual TDC on the engine so you can check to make sure everything is timed right. That will let it work the best for you Dave.:)

Since the new cam isn't a stockGM factory cam I hope you have the cam card for it. The best way to check to see if the cam is ground right is with a degree wheel. You have to find the centerline and actual TDC on the engine so you can check to make sure everything is timed right. That will let it work the best for you Dave.:)

Don't have the card but do have the specs:

254/254..202/202(.050)...430/430..Idle to 5600rpm

Lobe Center 107
Advertised duration
Intake/Exhaust 254/254

Duration @ .050
Tappet Lifting
Intake/ Exhaust 202/202

Valve Lift
intkae
Intake/Exhaust 430/430

Power Range
Idle-5600
Max. RPM

You really need the cam card to set it right Dave. That tells you where the #1intake lobe needs to be in relation to the TDC of #1.

You really need the cam card to set it right Dave. That tells you where the #1intake lobe needs to be in relation to the TDC of #1.

I thought that's what lobe center was. What other piece of info am I missing?

I thought that's what lobe center was. What other piece of info am I missing?

The LSA tells you the comparitive difference between the intake and the exhaust but doesn't tell you where the the #1 intake lobe should be with the piston at TDC Dave. That's what the cam card is for.

It's not going to matter what chain you using in this application. Your springs are so weak even if you shim them really tight you wont be making power over 5000 if you plan on running any boost. I'd run a stock style chain before I ran any roller with a cast cam gear. If you get a roller chain make sure it's got a forged billet gear. Plan on spending $120 or more for it.

Back