Tinman or Tomko cold air,any feedback?

GMLC2V6

I know a lot of you guys use both kits.Any benefits/drawbacks to either system?Are they in the same price range?I have an old Conley kit early '90's vintage but it places a 14 inch
filter behind the grille making it very much a pain in the butt to remove and clean.any feedback appreciated.

I am using a TinMan, so I am a bit biased.
Easy install, and looks good as well. IMO, the rubber flex style hose does not appeal to me.
Best benefit of all... TinMan is local to us here in Michigan.

They should be closely priced.

HTH...Brian

I am leaning towards the Pete Tomka kit, $ 200 from kirban's, and $ 220 from PSM, (Pete Tomka). I like the looks of the rubber hose for that somewhat stealth look. I am sure that the performance of the two is very close. There have been some informative threads on this subject recently. I am still somewhat on the fence between the Pete Tomka and a open element in the engine compartment but away from direct heat as much as possible.

Another vote for the Tinman kit... Have it on my car and am very happy with it.. In terms of performace I personally feel they all are pretty close, but it does make me feel a little better knowing the guy (Al) that makes/sells the Tinman kit is involved in the airflow design business and if I remember correctly he has flow bench tested the filter he uses against others like the K&N to prove it flowed better. It retails for $189 on his site~
http://www.modelman5.com/tinmancoldairkit.htm

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 343
I have the Tin Man CAI. That is one of the bolt ons that helped with my time in the sig :) It will also be on the new motor.

I had the Tomka on my car and I removed it. In my opinion it has too long of a tubing run, the tubing itself is not smooth which I believes causes airflow disturbances and the placement of the air filter behind the front air dam is not a good place for the filter. I think behind the air dam is probably alot of negative pressure ( this is just my guess i have no actual proof) and the filter, at least mine did gets dirty much quicker. I do not think that having the turbo having to draw air thru the 90 degree turns and length of this non smooth tubing of the Tomka kit is good. I went back to just a 9" K&N filter right at the end of the turbo and i felt my performance inprove. I would not put it back on my car.

GMLC2V6 said:
I know a lot of you guys use both kits.Any benefits/drawbacks to either system?Are they in the same price range?I have an old Conley kit early '90's vintage but it places a 14 inch
filter behind the grille making it very much a pain in the butt to remove and clean.any feedback appreciated.

When driving down the road, 70 to 80% of the air hitting the front of the car goes through the grill. That sounds like a good place for a filter to me. :)

ws6formula50 said:
Im running the Bog Mouth kit from Mark H. Very good fit and comes several diff ways, chrome steel or aluminum tubing. Mark has EXCELLENT customer service and support as well.

http://www.buickgn.com/

I am real happy with the Big Mouth Cold Air Kit. It has a good fit, good looks, easy to service the K&N and it was worth some ET at the drags. :D

GMLC2V6 said:

BAGN:No question the system works,not bashing the Conley system at all,just looking for a system that has easier access to the filter.I prefer the "stock" look also.