Tire installer DESTROYED my wheels

The tires are off. I was appalled by how bad these tires looked once off the wheels! And this guy let me drive off like this!!! :mad: All of the tires had some damage to the bead area. I have the wheels boxed up and ready to ship out. I brought the tires back to BJ's and got a refund too. The guy working in there today (different guy than who installed them) couldn't even comprehend what I was talking about. He looked at me like I had 12 heads.

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00221.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

:eek:

me too

firestone did the same thing to one of my wheels and tire . they tore the bead and bent the edge of the rim up and said it was like that when i brought it in.:confused:

That is absolutely inexcusable. There is no way the installer didn't hear those beads ripping apart unless he was stone deaf, and even then he'd have felt it. I hope he gets chewed out viciously.

I wouldn't think that guy would be working there anymore, but who knows

Don’t under estimate the stupidity of some store managers.
WTC Store Manager
Short story version
A guy switched my radios face-plate for his broken one. I told the store manager he got my face-plate back and the guy is still working at the place. Why would he keep a thief working in his shop?????

Good thing you didnt do much driving on them tires-could have wrecked the whole car or even worse could have gotten killed. you should tell the guy that mounted them to put them on his car afterall they re still brand new. You can see the problem in your pics of the wheels-the inside of the rim runs very deep from the front face of the rim and is why they need to be mounted from the rear of the rim.

You know after he f'd up one rim/tire, you think he would stop what he is doing and re-evaluate the situation. I'm really dumbfound by this; some people have no common sense.

"Quote"
some people have no common sense.

No such thing as common sense ...... just good sense and/or bad sense

and good sense is not that common:confused:

George

To Monteperformanc...

You will be very happy with the quality of workmanship that Jim Lyon and the staff at TruDesign produces.

Here is something you should think about and discuss with Jim...

The steel GN wheels are actually three pieces- an outer rim shell (with valve stem hole), center section, and the inside rim shell. All three pieces are welded on the inside face of the wheel. I would think that you are just having the outer rim shells replaced on each of the wheels. Did the inner rim shells suffer any damage?

If you are having the entire wheel re-finished (new chrome on center section and powder coat, and new inner and outer rim shells welded to your center section) and you request new inner rim shells, the new inner rim shells DO NOT have any of the part #s or date codes on them. Maybe this is not a big deal for you.

If you want to keep the date code/part numbers on the inside rim shell, you will have to re-use your old inside shells. Jim can easily have the old shells stripped and re-chromed. The turn around time for new inner and outer rim shells is the two week timeframe you noted in an earlier post. If you want to reuse the inner rim shells to preserve the part #'s (and if there is no damage to these parts) the turn around time is about 4 to 6 weeks.

In any case, Jim will do an excellent job for you. I'm glad you saw and researched the reference from Jim from Philly.

I went to have my drag radials put on my mint shape GTA wheels a couple years ago,Tire kindom thought they were reverse mount and flipped them over and put deep groves in the wheel and screwed them up...Then after those set of tires wore I bought another set and went to a different shop to have them put on and the bent the lip and cracked it!!!

I just ordered new rims from Gbodyparts and went to another spot with a touchless system that never touches the rim,turned out perfect!

To Monteperformanc...

As far as where to have new sneakers mounted on your soon to be perfect wheels, I would suggest the following:

1. Look up a speed shop local to you on Long Island and ask who they would recommend.

2. Find a shop near you that sells the larger (18" and up) custom wheels. They will either be able to mount the new tires for you or direct you to someone that can. I say a larger custom wheel shop as they probably have one of the new tire machines that rolls around the edge of the rim to seat the bead and doesn't touch the rim (saw those new machines at the 2007 SEMA show).

3. Once you find a shop, stop in and talk with them as you check out the place. If you decide to have them do the work, specifically talk to the guy doing the install to make sure he knows how to install tires on these "safety wheels".

4. As far as balancing goes, you might want to consider using the standard "clip-on" wheel weights (that clip on to the edge of the rim) for the inside rim shell but forgo the "clip-on" weights on the outside rim shell. Instead, ask to have stick on weights used. The stick-on weights would be applied to the inward facing part of the wheel, just inside of the weld line. this way, no weights are seen from the outside and the clip/weight doesn't damage the new chrome. The wheel has a nice clean look without the balancing weights showings. This is static balancing. Dynamic balancing is when the wheel/tire assembly is spun for balancing.

Just an idea. a larger custom wheel shop will know exactly what you are asking about. You don't see wheel weights on those big high dollar billet wheels. The stick-on weights will have no problem sticking to the wheel, just clean the area with some brake clean. Again, a competent shop will know this. Just some FYI for you so that you can ask the right questions.

Let us know how you made out.

Anthony P-thanks for all the info. I noticed at least one bend on an inner part of one wheel. I assumed Jim at TDW was replacing both inner and outer shells even though that was not specifically mentioned. I think he said only the center part of the wheel was being re-used. As far as date codes, I looked but could not find any. Did all wheels have them? I am not really concerned about that. Plus I would rather have the wheels back sooner than later.

I am beginning to scope out a place to have the new tires mounted. When I had the damaged tires dismounted, the guys at that place seemed to have a good understanding of how to work with these wheels and they were able to remove the tires without a problem. It's not a big wheel shop, just a regular tire/repair shop. Any where I go, you can be assured I'm going to be VERY nervous about having new tires mounted.

Thanks for the tip on the wheel weights also that is a good idea.

Yes, all the factory wheels had data stamped into the wheel. The GN 15 x 7 steel wheels had data similar to this...

51391 15 x 7 JJ MW-1 MADE IN U.S.A. DOT-T 6 16 86 A LINE 1

This wheel was made on 16 Jun '86 on assembly line "A" during first shift.

I looked quickly in my archives for a pic of the wheel data and did not readily find one. But ebay has two auctions for NOS wheels that show pics of what I am trying to describe.

Item number: 190374811922

NEW GM NOS 1986 1987 Buick Grand National Wheels Rims : eBay Motors (item 190374811922 end time Mar-02-10 18:35:25 PST)

Item number: 120531872041

GRAND NATIONAL NOS NEW GM WHEEL/GOODYEAR TIRE PERFECT : eBay Motors (item 120531872041 end time Feb-26-10 09:36:54 PST)

Okay I was looking in the wrong place for the codes I thought they were on the other side of the shell, where the tire mounts. I will speak to Jim about that before he does the work.

On another note, is it okay to leave the car up on jackstands like this for a month? It's making me nervous.

DSC00224.jpg

Okay I was looking in the wrong place for the codes I thought they were on the other side of the shell, where the tire mounts. I will speak to Jim about that before he does the work.

On another note, is it okay to leave the car up on jackstands like this for a month? It's making me nervous.

DSC00224.jpg

Jim will just cut your ring away toss it rechrome the center hub section and weld a brand new chromed ring around the hub. This is how he does the rims. He can not use your old bent ones. Unless you have a GN with 5K on less on it and it's a 100 point show car it don't matter one bit those codes. I have one set he reused my rings but most sets he just welded on new ones. They will look amazing.

Mine are up on stands just like that for winter hibernation. Also keeps the tires round, no flat spots, when they're sleeping during the December to April timeframe. ;)