You can type here any text you want

Tire opinions wanted:

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Tom R

87FastBlack
I currently have stock tires on the GN rims. I'm interested in adding more width and traction. I have a set of ET street radials the previous owner gave me when I bought the car. I don't like that look but as I said I do want to add wider tires all the way around and keep the stock rims. I was considering B F Goodrich T/A radials in 245 60's in front and 255 60's out back.

Currently the car is running about 300HP with 16lbs if boost. Either this fall or early spring, I will add alky injection and perhaps a set of larger injectors and a better fuel pump. Considering all of this, I'm intersted in opinions about which brand of tires (in the stated sizes) some of you guys prefer.

If you want ANY kind of traction you will want a drag radial. A regular radial will just not cut it.

275-50's on the stock rims and the previous owner used a 7/32 spacer.

I would put those on the back, just be careful in the rain. Do they have much tread left? Or just put them on another set of rims for the track. Regular radials work fine as long as you arent driving crazy on the street.

Been a while since I ran 15's. I was thinking 235/60 15 for the front and 245/60 15 in the back. I like the toyo proxys tread design. They are nice and soft too...

Nothing will compare to the dr's though.

If you can get a set of firestone firehawks that is what I would go with. Get them a little warm and they hook fairly good with a mostly stock car. Had a friend with these on his sbc regal and he loved them. Wasn't nice with his car either and they lasted almost 4 years. I think BFGs suck, unless you are getting a truck tire and they still suck cause they are so high maintinence. I worked at a tire shop for 4 years so I got a feel for what was good and what wasn't. FOr something cheap, go with a cooper made tire.

tom,looking at your sig you are going to need the drag radial for traction.you also sound like you want to go faster and the drag radial gets it done.i have used many sets of tires and there is nothing wrong with the bfg.i have a comp ta on the front,there cheap and ride well and last.reg radials will spin so easily when you wake the car up.

This comment is not tire related.

The cam you have seems awful large for your combo and I don't understand a 2500-3500 stall tc. What does it stall at zero boost? Just curious.

The information in my signature about the cam came directly from the documents I received when I bought the car. Is that the cam in the car, I don't know. The previous owner did not make any cam changes and did not inquire about the cam document when he bought the car. either. I thought about tracking the person down to see if it has been changed but the car runs well so I didn't feel the need.

As for the stall speed, the same applies. The only difference is I don't know what stall speed I actually have. I wish I knew how to figure it out. I can only tell you that the trans that was built by Jimmy's Transmissions noted a stall speed with those parameters on some of the paperwork. Again, the car runs real well so I haven't questioned that issue.

I have no plans to take the car to the track. The previous owner made several passes and had a best of 12.327 at 106.8mph with a 60' of 1.732 on a set of 275-50 ET Street radials.

I'm working on adding the alky before it gets real cold. I suspect, as others have chimed in, I will need a set of drag radials too. I'd like to get into the mid to low 11's with my combo now. I just ordered a Racetronix FP to help out.

I hope I cleared things up the best I can. I am no mechanic and I bought my first GN just about 2 months ago. I still have an awful lot to learn. Rick aka TurboBuRick lives about 45 minutes from me and he has been very helpful.

mickey thompson got some new TREADED radials out, but they are not dr though, about a $100 bucks ea. i assume they would compare with the bfg's.
The only large size i saw was a 275/60/15.. they have some smaller ones for the front.. just another alternative..
however the drag radials will save some caos on tranny parts, even bearings by NOT spinning and over revving causing traction problems. So they are hard to beat and will be the only thing on my car. Unless i turn all the boost out and go the the new street radials be it harder times come for me..:(
MT dr are hard to beat...

Go to their site and check them out.

Back