Tires and brakes

Jeff Rand

I have a 98 GS and was wondering what is the widest tire I can put on a stock rim? Want to use the same size tire on all four rims.
I am noticing a problem with my brakes. When I backup out of my incline driveway I hear a click from the master cylinder and my brakes release for a moment. I have not had any other issues with the brakes. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,

I think alot of people hear that noise, maybe this link can help.

http://www.regalgs.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=689

I was at NTB on Saturday and was inquiring about tire width. Alot of guys run the 245/50's on Regals and asked them about prices on these tires. One of the guys working there has a 98 Monte Carlo and is running 245/50's. He said he would not go that route again, they are feathering on the edges. He said he would sell them to me but thought that the factory size would give better performance. Just my .02 cents, I like the wide tire look and haven't made up my mind yet.

P245/50-16's

I had them on my GTP, Michelin Pilots to be exact. They look pretty good on the car, but they were quite noisy on the highway, and they are VERY slippery in the wet or snow. If you drive your car daily in the wet or snow, I do not recommend them. Stick to the stock size for a daily driver if you see any snow.

Thanks for the replies on my post. Since it is a daily driver,I think I will stick with the stock setup on the tires.
Jeff