You can type here any text you want

To modify or not to modify??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

To modify or not to modify?

• Modify

Votes: 16 88.9%
  • Leave it alone

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Tow Man

I recently purchased my TTA with the intention of doing some mods and racing the car on weekends. All I've done so far is replace the 13 year old spark plugs, wires and coil pack. ( still have the originals! )

I didn't want to end up with another garage queen, but it seems to be turning out this way. Everyone I talk to and sees the car, tells me not to touch it.

The car has 9,000 miles and original everything from the lexan T- tops, down to the air in the tires! Is it a worth while investment to leave this car as is for another 10 years? Or, have some fun with it?

I'm happy to own it either way, but need help to make up my mind. Your suggestions and thoughts would be appreciated.:D

Don't pay attention to what others say,after all it's your car and you spent the money on it not them so enjoy it in whatever mannor makes you happy.

Besides cars make bad investments anyway :D

Steve

i bought my car 8-1999 with 8800 miles i had the car for 2 years and babied it for 200 miles!!! yes thats 200 miles in 2 years of owning the car..
so this past august i sold my other tta and started driving my 8800 mile tta,.. 4000 miles later, i am not disapointed that i put those miles on it,.. they were nice days only,.. and took the risk of driving to BRISTOL Tenn in 2001.. noble oky, and lots of around town driving/racing..
i love it,... put the alky on the car, and its fast all the time, not just at the track... stock muffler and all, it lays down the smack on quite a few cars..:)
put some miles on it, enjoy it, its your car!!
later
bryan

I would have to say, dont do anything to it you cant undo, with it tuned right and only a couple of bolt ons, it will truly surprise you. It is a low mileage car so I would keep it relatively low miles, and not drive it all the time, but definately enjoy it, it is yours now and nobody can tell you otherwise :D so go out and enjoy it while you can since you cant take it with you, and if you are anything like me, you will never get rid of it.

exactly what 1badTTA said. Do mods that can be changed back to stock if you need to sell it or whatever. These cars are too easy to mod, so easy i'd have a hard time NOT modding one :D

The market is low on these cars right now. If you can afford it,...pick up a high miles one for about $8000 and mod the hell outta it.

I got my car for $11,000 in '98 with 24,000 miles on it and basically stock. It now has about 82,000 miles on it and is heavily modified. Do I regret it? No. Would I like to someday own an origianal low mile car? Yupp.

I would do anything that I could undo with it.I also look at it this way,who are you saving it for if you dont enjoy it?;)

Originally posted by 1badTTA
I would have to say, dont do anything to it you cant undo, with it tuned right and only a couple of bolt ons, it will truly surprise you. It is a low mileage car so I would keep it relatively low miles, and not drive it all the time

Yea, I never even considered to go as far as a roll cage or anything that would alter the car permanently! Just looking to go as close to 11:99 as possible. LOL

As far as keeping the mileage low, you know how that goes. The faster it is, the more fun it is, the more I'd want to drive it! I knew I shouldn't have bought a car with mileage this low. I knew these mixed feelings would plague me! I'm a restoration nut as well as a drag racer. Not a good combination as it turns out!

I am looking around for a medium mileage GN ( 35 to 50,000 ). If I find the right car for the right price, and I am able to get financing ( broke the piggy bank on the TTA ), I'll use that as my toy. If not, then the TTA will be used.

Im not concerned with selling the TTA for a big profit. That's not why I bought it! I just don't want to ruin a rare piece of automotive history! That's why I'm asking for your opinions and suggestions. Thanks and Keep Em Comming! Vic

i always figured it this way
if your happy with the performance the way it is now...enjoy it.. when it knocks , LET OUT!!
learn what works for everyone else's car, and do what they have allready done.. 11.90's for these cars with slicks takes time,. but its very easy to do.. find someone in your town that owns a TTA or a turbobuick...guarantee you will find them at the track

TTA

good advice to follow...keep it simple and enjoy it. if you do mod it, make small changes, tune and enjoy. :)

John C.

Totally agree on that one, Tune the hell out of the car, it will make it go alot faster than modding the hell out of it. Like Quick6'n'-K.C. said, 11.90's are possible with slicks and anything beyond that requires a cage, so it is my goal. I am not too far off now, got it to run 110.21 with a stuck wastegate and leaving with no boost, thats good for mid to low 12's. My true goal is to be able to go to the track and run 12.000 in the exact state of tune I normally drive it, ie... no slicks put on the night before, 91 octane pump gas that you can get anywhere, etc. I am sure it is possible with the parts I have and an alky kit, it will just take alot more track time and tuning.

A car is transportation.Having bought mine in July last year with 15k miles...I for one feel your pain.

As far as a rare piece of history,there are way too many low mile examples of our cars out there.And I for one dont know how long I'll live.Maybe 60 more years or 1??Cant predict the future..but sure am going to have fun with it while i'm here.

First time your out and about and a vette or camaro pulls on you...it'll be mod time :D

Would be a shame you didnt enjoy your car.Unless looking at it sit is your enjoyment.As was the case of the previous owner.

One thing I can say is go through the car and perform a major fluid replacement if you havent done so already.Rear,tranny,brakes,radiator,etc...you'll be surprised how the rear end fluid looks.

Mine still has the original washer fluid in it:D

fluid

hahhaaa...original washer fluid...that's cool !
someone might want that on eBAY. LOL

John C.
General Manager
Platinum Motorsports
"Any tires/wheels @ lowest prices guaranteed!"
**for Turbobuick members only**
->Weld wheel authorized dealer!
->Centerline wheel dealer E.T.A. - close.
->Demon Carb authorized dealer.
->NOS authorized dealer.
->ATI Porcharger authorized dealer.

Okay,any body want to bid on some original washer fluid?I have a whole bottle full on E-Bay now.Haha just kidding!:D

YOU NEVER KNOW!!!!!!!;)

Originally posted by Razor
Mine still has the original washer fluid in it:D

DAMN, I thought I had the market cornered for original fluids! Might as well list 2 bottles on ebay and I'll split it with you! LOL

I know what you mean Razor. When the previous owner told me it was an untouched original, I never thought he meant fluids too!

The anti freeze came out a lovely shade of baby sh!t brown! It took 3 flushes to get all the crud out of it! I also changed the trans fluid but didn't get around to the rear end yet!

I just bought an OTC 2000. I hope this will good enough for tuning. If I do decide to do some mods, I won't be too worried about those pesky 4th gens!

I remember blowing away a mostly stock 69 HEMI GTX during a test and tune back in '88. The look on his face was priceless when he looked under the hood of my GN and saw what he was beaten by!:mad:HEHE Truth is, I was just as shocked as he was but the smile on my face didn't show it!

I can't wait to see those expressions again. SCREW IT, I'm modifyin!!!!!! :D

modify

nutt'in like a good ol' AZZ whooopin' from a V-6... heh!

John C.

I love the "whats it got..a 350???"

Yep a V6 that yields 12sec slips all day long in pretty much stock form.

Towman,if you thought the radiator was bad..wait till you do the rear.Youll be suprised..trust me.

Also fuel filter.

I have the factory spark plugs from mine too if anybody wants to bid on them :) along with an original AC delco airfilter with 16k miles on it.

Originally posted by Razor
I love the "whats it got..a 350???"

Yep a V6 that yields 12sec slips all day long in pretty much stock form.

Towman,if you thought the radiator was bad..wait till you do the rear.Youll be suprised..trust me.

Also fuel filter.

I have the factory spark plugs from mine too if anybody wants to bid on them :) along with an original AC delco airfilter with 16k miles on it.
I went through this also when I bought mine. Looked like only the oil was changed, everything else was original.

The rear fluid is pretty bad, but the worse is the brake fluid. Power steering fluid was pretty nasty also.

BTW, I still have original washer fluid also :)

washer fluid

ya' know, now that i think about it i think my WE4 has the original washer fluid. aaah damnit, looks like the price of original washer fluid is going to do down. heh heh...

John C.
-authorized seller of original washer fluid :D

Back