To port or not

DARTHV6

I have an engine that has sat for years and it’s time to build it. I’m having the lower end done but I wanted to put champion heads and intake on then I got to thinking I could port myself. I spent the last week searching the pros and con from past posts on this forum. I bought the performance manual and I have a hand grinder a dremel tool and a bunch of patients and time, and 2 sets of iron heads to practice.

Anybody who has done it before want to give me some hints or talk me out of it?

Thanks
Art

What are u wanting to port the heads or the intake?

I would like to start with the heads
Well go for it just don’t go to crazy on them . U want to open up the whole exhaust about 10% larger . The intake just make the short turn smooth and smooth the top of the intake runner.

Well go for it just don’t go to crazy on them . U want to open up the whole exhaust about 10% larger . The intake just make the short turn smooth and smooth the top of the intake runner.

I’ll have to learn what tools to use, how far to port and all that. I have time and patience on my side. Have you done this before, Dank GN?

I’ll have to learn what tools to use, how far to port and all that. I have time and patience on my side. Have you done this before, Dank GN?
I have ported plenty of these Buick heads and intake manifolds .

Here is acouple pictures of some heads I’ve ported .

Attachments

• CB012490-C309-4678-849D-7DBAE7FB30BC.jpeg
    CB012490-C309-4678-849D-7DBAE7FB30BC.jpeg
    983 KB · Views: 75
  • 7DB55334-8E7B-4DFF-B78D-6FA6CADE335A.jpeg
    7DB55334-8E7B-4DFF-B78D-6FA6CADE335A.jpeg
    673.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 04977923-07F8-4660-BC62-BAB187AE0BB2.jpeg
    04977923-07F8-4660-BC62-BAB187AE0BB2.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 71
  • 038B4CBD-2395-4F6C-A278-DD8038294CB9.jpeg
    038B4CBD-2395-4F6C-A278-DD8038294CB9.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 71
Once you get the valves out, you'll probably look in the bowls and say something like ''Holy shit! Why did GM put all the metal in here to choke out the port''.

It's pretty obvious where the metal needs to be removed.

Once you get the valves out, you'll probably look in the bowls and say something like ''Holy shit! Why did GM put all the metal in here to choke out the port''.

What's your take on the porting templates in the How To Hotrod your Buick book? If you a familiar with it..?

Hey Earl,
ya that’s just it. Don’t wanna take too much!

For Earl Brown...
Those templates are fine to go by . Don’t over think this . All you want to do is get yourself a carbite burr and enlarge the whole exhaust about 10% and on the intake runner open the throat of the valve seat alil and make the short turn of the intake nice and smooth. If u want to pm me you can

LOL. I have a seat and guide machine along with bowl cutters. I think I'm good :)

That book's templates are just copies from the Buick PowerSource Manual.

I have a used Power Sorce manual on the way, should help. I'll do like you say, don't try to kill it, take my time. I'll make it my winter project! Any tips on doing the intake? Same principle?

Just knock the stupid lip off the front of all the port exists and make sure there's no overhang between the mating surfaces.

Just knock the stupid lip off the front of all the port exists and make sure there's no overhang between the mating surfaces.
Been reading some old post about porting and different gains. Taking that lip off has to give me 5 HP at least. Lol!