To side mold or not to side mold

Tom Kelly

My 86 GN came with the factory side moldings (option B88)
They are still on the car and seem to b in decent shape. I have finished the mechanical restoration (frame off, engine rebuild, the works) and it will bee going to the paint shop this winter. So I have a few questions.

1. Even with the30 year old paint, the moldings look more tired than the paint. If I keep them I was wondering if they were glossier black when new and can that be recreated with paint

2. Since I am putting two new doors on, the moldings will have to come off anyway. I have heard three different explanations of how they are attached at the factory (screws, rivets, adhesive) Looking for a definitive answer to this one. Any tips on removal?

3. Lastly, wondering of the general opinion as to whether the GN looks better with/without. The big advantage of leaving them is ding protection. It does seem to have cleaner lines without. The car is far from original now so that isn't a concern for me. What do GN drivers think?

My gn has them. I believe they are held on with black double side tape. One door strip came loose on mine and I had to redo it with the professional grade 3m double side trim adhesive. My gn is a driver so they work for me. Mine are flat black.

My gn has them. I believe they are held on with black double side tape. One door strip came loose on mine and I had to redo it with the professional grade 3m double side trim adhesive. My gn is a driver so they work for me. Mine are flat black.
Thank you for your reply. Would you happen to know if the moldings on your car were factory installed? I have had some seemingly knowledgeable people tell me that mine are not original while others say they are. The original window sticker show them as original but of course it is possible they were replaced at some point.

The factory used 2 sided tape. Personally, I think the car looks better without them. You can always add them later. One of my former customers had an ultra-low mileage car that had them put on at the dealer with....RIVETS!!

GN's look much better without side mouldings, honestly. But that's just me.

Not even close. GN's look soooo much better without them.........
IMG_0854.JPG

Not 100 % sure but I believe mine are the originals since I've had the car since 92 and it was 100% original and unmolested at that time. I agree with others that it looks better without but for a daily driver they are needed with all the clueless asshats around that cave in your door getting in and out.

I had them on my 86 GN and they looked okay but when the car got repainted in '06 I left them off. They do help with door dings but a cleaner look without for sure. The trim was more of a flat black, don't know if factory or not I assumed they were? Just a better look without.

I had them on my 86 GN and they looked okay but when the car got repainted in '06 I left them off. They do help with door dings but a cleaner look without for sure. The trim was more of a flat black, don't know if factory or not I assumed they were? Just a better look without.
To GSGNNUT and fast 86gn. Yes that is the one thing that makes me hesitate to leave them off. I would probably kick myself at the first ding.

Paint the car let the paint harden and then decide. They are only taped on anyway so super easy to add on later.

Paint the car let the paint harden and then decide. They are only taped on anyway so super easy to add on later.
I'd keep the originals tho. They are reusable if removed carefully and probably irreplacible.

Yes, leave it for a while and think it over. And yeah, seems like originals are very hard to come by. Planned to keep em either way. Thanks

You've already heard this about 10x here, but I was thinking about some. But I changed my mind.....I like the clean look

To GSGNNUT and fast 86gn. Yes that is the one thing that makes me hesitate to leave them off. I would probably kick myself at the first ding.

That's what Paintless Dent Repair is for........ :D

They sold the car two ways if you ordered the car with them they were riveted on.If you wanted them after they were peel and stick.

They sold the car two ways if you ordered the car with them they were riveted on.If you wanted them after they were peel and stick.
Interesting. They are on the original sticker but look like they’re held on by adhesive. We’ll see at paint time. Thanks

I've seen at least two that were mounted on the sides of the car with short sheet metal screws. Don't know who did it, and I don't care. I just know they completely F'ed up both sides of the cars they did it to.

And, once again, I will say they look HORRIBLE, especially on a GN.

Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Interesting. They are on the original sticker but look like they’re held on by adhesive. We’ll see at paint time. Thanks

Are they on the window sticker you have, or are they an RPO sticker option?

Just wondering.

Last edited: