Todays turbo Buick?

tommyguns

Is there a car these days that would emulate what the turbo buicks did in the late eighties?
I guess it would have to be a sleeper, have a luxurious feel, and be able to hammer other cars.
Chrysler 300 srt8 maybe, how would the GTO fit into this, and the Trailblazer SS kind of fits those standards.
Im just opening this for discussion, Im not trying to directly compare these other cars to the one of a kind awesome buicks. Just for fun..

IMHO the GTO would follow the Buick Gn in term of sedan, twodoor, quick as delivered and responds very well to mods. I am getting used to the lines of the GTO and wouldn't mind a 6.0 litre 6 spd with a turbo kit. I think they can be CRAZY fast with a drop in compression forged rods and pistons and a pair of small turbos. Jon Hanson

IMHO the GTO would follow the Buick Gn in term of sedan, twodoor, quick as delivered and responds very well to mods. I am getting used to the lines of the GTO and wouldn't mind a 6.0 litre 6 spd with a turbo kit. I think they can be CRAZY fast with a drop in compression forged rods and pistons and a pair of small turbos. Jon Hanson

Agreed, The 6.0 GTO is probably the closest, then SS trailblazer, and maybe Charger SRT8.

What about the Supercharged Mustang? Don't they respond to a different pulleys really well? I've heard some of the last body style, like 2003 or something Supercharged mustangs would go high 11's with nothing more than exhaust, K&N, and Pulley.

Well, given the fact that u didn't say it had to be GM or Domestic, I'd choose the EVO. Factory turbo'd, small displacement, 4 door commodity & great respose to upgrades. Just my $.02. :cool:

Its even BLACK

merc.jpg

throw a supercharger on it and your flyin:biggrin: :biggrin:

Agreed for the Marauder, but I was saying factory fast. Im thinking the weight of it would be a deterent.
I wouldnt say the 03-04 supercharged Cobras. They dont fit the sleeper criteria. When you line up against a Cobra Mustang, you kind of knew what you were messing with. With the Buicks back in the day, Corvette owners did a double take as they looked at the rear bumper of the turbos. So maybe the GTO wouldnt fit. The EVO's are factory hot, but the wings and stuff dont really make it a sleeper. The Marauder is a good comparison. The upcoming SRT4 Dodge Caliber may fit the mold.

Before my GN I had an 03 Ford Lightning, sure it's a truck but it pretty much fits your criteria. No one knew what it was except for a few people you run into. I loved it but I refused to mod an under warranty vehicle so I sold it and got the GN (after searching for almost a year for my next car).

The EVO's are factory hot, but the wings and stuff dont really make it a sleeper. The upcoming SRT4 Dodge Caliber may fit the mold.

U can always convert the EVO to wingless & the SRT Caliper is heavier than it's predecesor the Neon SRT. BTW the Neon could make 4 a good sleeper.

U can always convert the EVO to wingless & the SRT Caliper is heavier than it's predecesor the Neon SRT. BTW the Neon could make 4 a good sleeper.

Yeah, An SRT4 Neon would be cool. Take the non-functional hood off and take the wing off and it would be a sleeper. I like the Neon SRT4, they seem to do really well with a few mods. That was a tried and true platform too, they should have kept it a few more years.
Marauder is also very nice.

Yeah, An SRT4 Neon would be cool. Take the non-functional hood off and take the wing off and it would be a sleeper. I like the Neon SRT4, they seem to do really well with a few mods. That was a tried and true platform too, they should have kept it a few more years.
Marauder is also very nice.

The hood is functional, it routes cool outside air over the turbo/manifold to help cool it and lower under hood temps. The wing is also funtional to an extent, only at higher speeds, keeps the rear from getting light at higher speeds. The wing however kills the sleeper thing but may have some thinking it's just another ricer lol. They can be quite quick but dont really measure up in the comfort/luxury department. I would say the SRT8 charger is a good choice.

And yes I did have an SRT-4 for a bit, it was a quick little bugger. Ran a 12.8......and trapped 117:eek: lol lotsa torque, street tires, and FWD don't mix well. It spun into 3rd gear NO TRACTION, I'll stick to RWD from now on :cool:

The hood is functional, it routes cool outside air over the turbo/manifold to help cool it and lower under hood temps. The wing is also funtional to an extent, only at higher speeds, keeps the rear from getting light at higher speeds. The wing however kills the sleeper thing but may have some thinking it's just another ricer lol. They can be quite quick but dont really measure up in the comfort/luxury department. I would say the SRT8 charger is a good choice.

And yes I did have an SRT-4 for a bit, it was a quick little bugger. Ran a 12.8......and trapped 117:eek: lol lotsa torque, street tires, and FWD don't mix well. It spun into 3rd gear NO TRACTION, I'll stick to RWD from now on :cool:

Wow!, I heard the hood wasn't functional. Well, I'd keep the hood then, but I'd still take off the wing though, it's probably stable "enough" to 150mph, that's about speed I'd puss out at. Damn 117mph trap, that rocks! You must have spun to run 12.8? What mods did you do?

Wow!, I heard the hood wasn't functional. Well, I'd keep the hood then, but I'd still take off the wing though, it's probably stable "enough" to 150mph, that's about speed I'd puss out at. Damn 117mph trap, that rocks! You must have spun to run 12.8? What mods did you do?

Hell yeah it spun! 2.4 60 foot LOL. It'll only do about 150 155 stock anyhow, modded mine ran out of gear in 5th, comes out to be around 176mph:eek:

Mopar stage 3 setup (bigger turbo, different injectors/computer etc.) ported intake/TB, big IC and piping, full exhaust 3 inch all the way no cat no muf and one resonator. "toys" on the stage 3 setup included IC sprayer, sprayed water on the IC,and also a High Octane Mode for race gas (basically higher timing). I had it set up with a devils own alky kit to run the HOM on 93 pump gas, ran about 25 to 28psi with an ajustable W/G. a buch of othe little things too, Made well over 400 ft/lbs to the wheels!

Great thing was with the setup I had it looked pretty stock under the hood. I had the ALKY hidden and the Stage 3 turbo looks like a stock with the heat shield installed on it. IC was made to look stock the IC sprayer were hidden. I use to tell people it was a stock SRT4 with an exhaust :cool: I made a lot of imports look stupid LOL as well as a few LS1's, mustangs, etc.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOL6-hJI9aA[/YOUTUBE]

451HP 443lb/ft torque. :smile:

Fast with Class....check.
One of the cheapest MB sedans stuffed with one of the largest V8 engines. (Muscle car? You bet!)
To be compaired with the GN, my modern day pick needs to be the class leader at an affordable price.