too much oil pressure

justamatt

ok after reading thousands of threads on how to raise the oil pressure any one know any tricks to lower it? without repacing the front cover i currently have around 100 psi cold pressure and keep blowing turbo seals ive put an adjustable spring in with a lighter spring got it to about 80-90 any ideas?????
tia

How many miles on the motor? What kind of oil are you using? Are you sure your gauge is correct? :confused:

140k tta, 5w-30 royal purple, and i have an auto meter guage tied in at the turbo showing the same psi, and a new oil pressure switch

no it drops way down when hot its been so long i cant remember exactally how much but im pretty sure its at about 25-35 to the motor ive got the turbo choked with a valve wich drops it to less than a pound at idle 60-70 wot

Do you have a PTE turbo saver by chance?? If so it is possible that the lines are reversed. just fishing for ideas......

Did you send your turbo back to PTE to have it rebuilt? I thought I was failing from the exact same oil pressures you are talking about...kept blowing the turbo seals, but PTE diagnosed the turbo 2 times after the failure and said it was comtanimation in the ring bearings.
I am installing the PTE turbo saver next to see if the turbo lasts longer which should tell me if the contamination was really the issue or if it was just the higher pressure. The turbo saver is well worth the money and if it saves me from another rebuild than it is definitely worth every penny (it is only like $150ish for the PTE saver).

I tried to reduce my oil pressure by ensuring the oil pump cover was shimmed a few thousandths higher and it didn't seem to do much. I have had very high pressure for about 4k miles after I rebuilt the engine and now have very tight bearing clearances to ensure higher pressure at lower rpms...the only problem it the pressure if very high at start up. The yellow bypass spring in the oil pump can't limit the pressure enough to drop the pressure and my cold pressure jumps over 100 psi also.

well im glad im not the only one. i dont have a turbo saver and i did the rebuild myself. from what ive read anything over 60 psi will cause the turbo to leak for all i know that could be wrong, but contamination hmmm i think i cleaned it well enough :rolleyes:
so with the turbo saver can you reduce the pressure at the turbo?? my main big fear is spending 1200 that i dont have and blow a new as well
(im pretty sure i need a different turbo with the current setup)

100 lbs cold too

I have close to 100 lbs of oil pressure cold. Once warm it idles around 25 to 30 lbs. Under power while warm is goes up to about 60 lbs. I run 5w30 Castol dino oil. Engine has about 500 miles on it. I put on a new front cover and oil pump when rebuilt.

there is nothing wrong with your motor. the turbo needs a rebuild. did you buy a rebuild kit and put it together? without taking measurements? balancing? my car pegs the guage at startup and when it warms up it has normal hot idle pressure. have the turbo professionally rebuilt and put a turbo saver on

yeah i orderd the kit and yeah i thought i did a good enough job didnt replace any of the turbin's and they were previously balanced before i rebuilt it but sounds like you guys are saying its me not the pressure.

I seem to remember that somewhere around 80-90 psi is somewhat normal on a cold start up. But over 100 could be a problem. Anyone know at what point seals will fail with high oil pressure.

80 psi on cold start is more like the norm from what I have seen with a 10psi hot idle. My new motor only pushes about 65psi at WOT and 10psi at hot idle.

If you are blowing seals due to high oil pressure, then talk to PTE about a feed line restrictor and look into running a -3 feed from the PTE oil saver ( don't remember what size that line is ).

ok well fired her up 100+ cold settles down to 40 hot but pegs the guage when at wot or really 1/4-1/2 throttle. is this too much??

Sounds high mine cold with new cover and pump around 80 psi and after it warms up at idle is 10 psi hot i have never pegged the gauge at wot mabe like 60 or 65 psi max at full throttle

next to your oil filter is the oil pump bypass. remove the nut and behind it will be a spring and plunger. check what color spring you have and if the plunger is stuck.

just got done putting the front cover back together while i was there i installed an adjustable spring from ta. the spring that was in there (kept same spring due to less tension) is close to the yellow from pump kit just has no color and can only seem to add pressure with the adjustable cap

question if i remove that spring now will i have to reprime the oil pump prior to start?

Careful with the adjustable regulator, I had one also and ended up taking it off. The spring rate is what matters on the spring and it will determine the deflection vs load curve for the bypass.
If you are running a high volume pump, I have never heard anything good about those either....I just use the booster plate on my pump gears to ensure proper oil delivery. Too much load on the cam shaft is a fear with the high volume pump.

well i guess ill try switching the springs which one is the lowest psi and delete the adjustable to see what happens