Tool Cart suggestions ?

tom h

After some 25 years, I have outgrown my tool cart & chest. It's a Craftsman 26"W x 18"D roll-about cart with a Snapon 26W x 18H chest on top.

I am looking for a big step upward in roll cart capacity, but the Snapon carts are just way too expensive for what you get.

I'm considering a "Craftsman Professional" 36W x 21D, model #65566 cart ($1250)
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...L&subcat=Chests+&+Cabinets&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

or maybe even a 46W x 24D, model #65578 cart ($2000)
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...cat=Chests+&+Cabinets&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

Note, the "professional" models are significantly deeper than the ordinary 18"D "ball bearing" models and carry much heavier weight.

Are there any other brands or suppliers I should look at?

I do want a heavier-duty, large capacity cart, not a flimsy "Home Depot special". $2000 is my upper limit , and spending less is desireable.

I personally like MAC boxes. I have had a MAC box for the last 12 years. I traded my SnapOn box to the MAC dealer and upgraded. You may do the sae with your old box. The only thing I wish I had done with my upper box was to order the NASCAR handles (this was during the time of the movie Days of Thunder). These are a set of short handles for the long drawers that allow the MAC Tools sticker to fit between the handles (personal preference). Since I don't wrench professionally anymore, I'm considering adding a side box to my lower roll cab.

I looked around, but was too cheap to spring for another SnapOn box. I was at Costco picking up some stuff and bought one of their stainless boxes for $650. Your right the depth is only 16", but it works for me....

Snapon, MAC, and Matco are all pretty expensive, $3000 and up for what I'm wanting -- no doubt the quality is superb. I have to believe the Craftsman 46W cart is chinese-made to cost "only" $2000, but from its stated net weight (385 lbs) it is probably substantially built .

At Northern Tool & Equipment I came across a $900 Torin brand (never heard of it) model TBR8011X cart, 56"W x 22"D, shipping weight 640 lbs, 3900 lbs claimed capacity, 6" x 2" casters .
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200321997_200321997

It seems substantial, but if it appears to good to be true ... it's usually not true.

I've bought good quality, name-brand stuff form Northern Tool before, but they also carry cheaper junk.

I am a big fan of the Matco stuff. I dream of a nice 'taco wagon' with a full width drawer across the top. The only thing holding me back is the budget as these start around $3500, and I haven't come across a used one.

I have two three piece Craftsman units like yours. I do like the second set as it has roller bering slides with latches and are deeper at 18" for the middle and 16" for the top box.

I've inserted updated links, at least one of the original links seems "broken"

Craftsman 65566 7-Drawer Tool Cart, 36 in. Wide, Ball Bearing at Sears.com

Craftsman 65578 13-Drawer Tool Cart, 46 in. Wide, Ball Bearing at Sears.com

Go by your local Sears and ask the guy who works in hardware about any that may be on there list that are about to be discontinued. They usually have a VOM (Very Old Merchandise) list and mark down what they have on the list so they don't have to send it back.

I like the stainless steel carts they have at Costco. It is tough to beat anything they sell dollar for dollar. They also have a total customer satisfaction gaurantee on everything they sell. I've gotten to the point where I buy everything I can from them. If there is ever a problem, returning stuff is no hassle.

I am a big fan of the Matco stuff. I dream of a nice 'taco wagon' with a full width drawer across the top. The only thing holding me back is the budget as these start around $3500, and I haven't come across a used one.

I have two three piece Craftsman units like yours. I do like the second set as it has roller bering slides with latches and are deeper at 18" for the middle and 16" for the top box.

eBay Motors: Matco Rollaway Toolbox (item 190073116390 end time Jan-23-07 07:39:12 PST)

One like this is what I want. Kinda pricey but I imagine it would last the rest of my life and the lives of some of my next of kin.

yes, there are some potentially good values at Ebay, eg http://tinyurl.com/2bk2pk .

Beautiful black Snapon KRL1022, 1 yr old, original new price $6700 :eek: , 56W-29D-45H, with a starting bid of $1500, and only 100 miles away.

However, seller has a reserve and I think I have no chance (my absolute top limit is $1800-2000). On a lark, I placed an opening bid :rolleyes:

Mac makes a badazz new cart... its a 3 drawer with a tall top section for sockets, and the top opens up by sliding out to make "shelves" on either side. I want one in the worst way...

After some 25 years, I have outgrown my tool cart & chest. It's a Craftsman 26"W x 18"D roll-about cart with a Snapon 26W x 18H chest on top.

I am looking for a big step upward in roll cart capacity, but the Snapon carts are just way too expensive for what you get.

Craftsman 65566 7-Drawer Tool Cart, 36 in. Wide, Ball Bearing at Sears.com

Sears.com

Note, the "professional" models are significantly deeper than the ordinary 18"D "ball bearing" models and carry much heavier weight.

Are there any other brands or suppliers I should look at?

I do want a heavier-duty, large capacity cart, not a flimsy "Home Depot special". $2000 is my upper limit , and spending less is desireable.

This is mine, and I LOVE it!!!!!

Craftsman CH104 40 in. Tool Storage Collection, Black at Sears.com

I'm now leaning toward the craftsman professional models, with a tolerable compromise between cost, capacity, and ruggedness.

sears has reduced prices on "professional series" carts, thru the end of today (1/27).

model #65578, 46W 24D 42H, from 2000 to $1800 . (temporary out-of-stock).
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...cat=Chests+&+Cabinets&vertical=TOOL&ihtoken=1

and

model #65554, 56W 30D 42H, from 3300 to $2970 .

The latter is much more $$ than I had planned but is nicer & no worry of ever running out of space. Decisions ... :confused:

... tool boxes are like garages..... you can NEVER have one big enough!!
LOL, you're probably right! I dream of a 4-car garage with a 2-post lift, but that's not going to happen unless I move away from the ultra-$$ So. Calif coast ...

Last night, I finally chose to order the Craftsman Pro model#65554, 56W 30D 42H. More than I had originally intended to spend :frown: ($2970 + 216 ship + 245 tax = $3431) ... I'll have to cut back on those $3 Starbucks & Peets cappucinos ;)

Attachments

• cart.jpg
    cart.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 217
yes, there are some potentially good values at Ebay, eg eBay Motors: SNAP ON TOOL BOX BLACK KRL1022PC LIKE NEW (item 260078644108 end time Jan-28-07 12:25:28 PST) .

Beautiful black Snapon KRL1022, 1 yr old, original new price $6700 :eek: , 56W-29D-45H, with a starting bid of $1500, and only 100 miles away.

However, seller has a reserve and I think I have no chance (my absolute top limit is $1800-2000). On a lark, I placed an opening bid :rolleyes:

Remind me to post on this tomorrow when i get home from work.. Hopefully have pictures of the used black KRL snapon tool box i got.

Man those drawers are deeep!

BW

just to drop the 411 but mac and matco no longer get their tool boxes made in the usa, if you have a tool box from the 90s look in back of the box and youll notice a sticker with the vin of the box and a usa flag printed on the sticker, now check out a new 2000 and up model box and try looking for that same sticker, i wont have it since the boxes are getting made by japs now, snap on has always and will always have their boxes made in the usa, just my 2 cents.

Picked these up this morning

KRL1001BPC and the small red KRA3059AUSA

Just need a good dusting, and they are in perfect shape and very well taken care of. Been sitting in a dusty environment for 4 years.

Dont let the boom in the background scare ya too much LOL :biggrin:

anybody want to buy a toolbox? pm me

Attachments

• 100_4055.jpg
    100_4055.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_4065.jpg
    100_4065.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_4054.jpg
    100_4054.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 204