You can type here any text you want

Tool for primimg the motor

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have used this one before from autozone loan-a-tool program, you pay a deposit for it but get all your money back when you return it so it won't cost you anything when you are done. The other auto parts stores may have a similar program.

/autozone/accessories/OEM-GM-V6-V8-Oil-Pump-Primer/_/N-2641?itemIdentifier=534529_0_0

The link didn't work,sorry.

Just go to autozone website and look under loan-a-tools or just go to their store they have them in stock but you may want to call first just in case to save a trip.

Last edited:
I use an old modified cam sensor
i ground the teeth off the gear , removed the reluctor ring, pulled the shaft out, cut off the top of the sensor , reinstalled the shaft with a large washer at top then pressed an old 12pt socket over the end so now it takes 3/8 drive . i can use an extension if needed to do in car and i spin it with a 1/2" drill

i dont like the AZ tool as it can spread out the ends of the oil pump shaft making it hard to get a cam gear to slide on and also hard to pull out the pump gear out of the timing cover

Last edited:
Bought the tool yesterday as well, with the bushing it makes it a dream to do, so simple a monkey could do it. If there is zero oil the drill will go easily then you will start to feel resistance on the drill once it has primed and is moving into smaller galleries.

Part # 66896 $22cad retail so in the US it must be even cheaper ;) It's worth it.

Just remember not to bear down on the priming tool. Put it in just enough to fully seat against the pump shaft and spin it from there.

Back